Pedal pushers panel . Your cycles here.

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
majcka

Re: Pedal pushers panel . Your cycles here.

Post by majcka »

Buckethead wrote:Me playing in the snow. I put studded snows on it this year. Those things are incredible! Packed snow and ice don't even phase me.
This does look wild to me. But I guess it is a bit adrenalin pusher.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

C And D

Post by C And D »

I was a hard core athlete from the age 16 to 40
Then retired the extreme for a life of relaxed Cactus heaven

I still Road Ride once a week for an hour, I have a full on race Bike
It's a Bob Jackson from UK, 1984.

I got my first Mt. Bike in 1983, and now on my fifth bike
a 1999 Aluminum GT LTS with full shocks

Since I was a Rock and Mt. Climber from the beginning, I took Mountain Biking to Be Real Mountain Biking
So I was somehow drawn into extreme All Mountain Biking, and we would ride cross country (no trails) through the forests on a carpet on pine needles.
Then carry our bikes up mountains, and ride straght down like we were on skies.
Very few other people got into this fringe of the sport, it's somewhat brutal and takes alot of skills not developed by flatlanders.

This is going down a steep mountain of pure pumice.
The speed is slower than you would think, it's a controlled rolling slide
027.JPG
027.JPG (57.72 KiB) Viewed 3293 times
No plants were harmed!

This is what we came down, there was a cliff portion halfway that we had to climb down
030.JPG
030.JPG (54.35 KiB) Viewed 3293 times
here is me riding down a Pumice Couloir
201045_10133_L.jpg
201045_10133_L.jpg (91 KiB) Viewed 3293 times

I also did Telemark Ski Mountaineering.
But that's another story.
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Must be exciting to go down like that. The highest hill I can find locally is a climb of 20 meters on a dune hill...!
So I have to make up for the excitement by cycling long tours up to 165 kilometers...
Eutow_Intermedium

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

I was lucky enough to find a couple of bicycle wheels dumped by the Yellow skip at my local allotment. They looked to be just what I wanted. The rear one already had a 3 Speed Sturmey archer hub in.

Here is the 1978 ( ladies ) Raleigh Traveller on it's back in the Cycle shop looking a sorry state , after briefly dropping the wheels on to see if they would work.

There was a White wall tyre on the back of the Traveller, and I had them swap it for a Black world tour tyre to match the one that was already on the front. The original 10/78 hub was respoked into the newly found back wheel, now last month. Two cable sheaths, the front and back brakes were replaced with Super swanky braided in clear and cut.

I took off the original saddle to find it had suffered damage from last Octobers Yob beating ( stamping ) One side of the saddles metal frame inside was bent. And after some banging with a hammer I managed to get it back to the way it was before, as if it hadn't been damaged at all. Unfortunately I managed to pull the actual leather and plastic underneath from the stud, this was temporarily repaired with two small cable ties and then later with a Bolt, two different sized washers and locking nut.

The day before I had bought new black brooks leather saddle and put it on. So it looks like the original will go onto another bicycle later , that I am rebuilding.

I also replaced the Car valve inner tube on the back wheel for a Dunlop valve one. I just prefer them, as Schrader and Presta valve tubes are a swine to pump up without air pissing out all over the place.

Soon I set about the arduous task of smothering both rims with Meguiar's Metal Polysh, now my fingers are not all that good due to my Osteo Arthritis. And all that rubbing with cloths " wax on , wax off " , was a bit hard on my hands, esp my fingers. The rims came up a lot better after " wax off " , although with all the dust like orange rust that looks like it has been sprayed onto the rims. They will never be prefect , but they do look a lot better now.

Some minor touching up on the blue paintwork, with a paint that did'nt quite match. But I wasn't bothered as it was just going on the road. I wasn't looking to get this one perfect at this stage . But it helps to hide the dents in the Mudguards a bit better.

And finaly some Auto Glym ( tyre dressing ) to finish off the job.

And here's the finished Raleigh Traveller. As was the previous photo.

Unfortunately on Sunday night after leaving my Olds's flat after having dinner with them and the Girlfriend and my cousin Staurt having popped over too. I proceeded to ride home with Kim and got about a third of the way, before the indicator chain that goes into the Gear hub snapped. So I was stuck in 3rd gear ( hardest ) all the way back to my flat.

Luckily I had a spare one in my personal parts collection. It originally came from the Mid Green Ex PO ( post office ) Pashley bicycle , when that had a PO only AB axle 3 speed Sturmey archer hub on the back.

I wound it into the hub and screwed on the adjustor toggle.

So far all the gears 1 2 and 3 are engaging. But I won't really know until later tonite if it is going to work perfectly. This indicator chain is a bit stronger than the last one my guess, and we will have to see. The one that snapped was damaged by last Octobers ( half term ) holiday yobs or bored teens. After some inspection of the remains I had found that the chain was already bent and that I had in fact tried to straighten it out with pliers. I guess it just had to give in the end, due to the metal being stressed.

Hopefully this second hand Indicator chain will work, or I will have to see if the local cycle shop can get hold of one for me.

=^-^=

Enjoy
Buckethead

Post by Buckethead »

We had our first seventy degree day of the year today. I did right at twenty miles running a few errands and going to an appointment.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Up here we have hit the 20C in the weekend. So I took advantage of an early spring day like that for my first long tour on my bike, taking 3 hours for a 70 kilometer ride.
Eutow_Intermedium

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

=^_~=

Hello all .

This is the newest addition to my Garage family. My father was in contact with an old lady originally from germany. Her brother on the continent has recently died and she had to empty his house. Two bicycles were on offer for £165

One was a Red Rewe all terrain bike ( german built ) of which is now in the hands of my girlfriend. And the second was this strange creature , also of german build.

A Hercules Stratos Fahraaden of which appears to date from 1996 and after . I didn't think it was quite that old. I thought with the Sachs GS3 on it and other Sachs gears, that it would be late 90's to the early 2000's.

Unfortuntely I discovered after taking them home, that the shock absorbing forks on this one are shot. I took it to a Cycle shop and they couldn't do anything about it , due to them being threaded shocks and really old design. I did find a pair of shock absorbing forks online on Ebay ( germany ) . Unfortunately I know absolutely nothing about Ebay , and not much more german. So thats a bit of a shame , as they are only 17 Euro's .

The front tyre was completely shagged and I spent £25 for a brand new Schwalbe road tyre. It made all the difference. In fact the old tyre may have been the one that came on the bike the day it rolled off production. When I took the tyre off and held it up aloft , you could see the light coming through the side wall of the old tyre :o

Eek !

Despite there being no dampening shocks on the front. Going over humps in the road are still almost invisible. Probably because of the in frame spring shock doing most of the work , and the descreet softening under the saddle. So effectively the front end is down, it can't go any further and is therefore a standard fork. If I do happen to drop off a low kerb , there is a metallic chunk. But I can't see much more damage happening.

Here is the new bike posed against the ends's local Graffiti artist Maybe's new work , that I got heads up the other day

At a local Country park . The pannier bags go onto this bike a whole lot easier than they do on the Camaro GT light touring racer .

The ultimate Euro City/country hybrid. Very unusual to have all the gears on the back end and no derailleur on the front above the crank wheel. I have a Cassette on the back with 7 gears and a Sachs GS3 and hub in the back wheel . So thats 21 Sachs gears.

I bet that back in the day when this bicycle was brand new , it was cutting edge technology and design. To me I don't think it's lost any of that , and is still contemporary. Shame about the suspension shocks being a weakness.

It's an awesome ride. If not very slightly spongey .

And the best thing of all is this bike has a working set of lights and a built on dynamo. The front lamp is a halogen and it's so bright that I can see it shining off road signs from yards away, it's crazy. Never had proper working permanent and reliable lights on any of my bikes before.

As for the rear light. Thats pretty impressive too as it's a Standlicht , and remains lit for several minutes after ending my journey. A capacitor in there somewhere :)

Enjoy . . . .

=^-^=
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Aiko wrote:This is my recumbent bike, at a stop during a long tour:

Unfortunately the frame of the above bike broke last October. It was an old bike already, and the aluminium frame was degrading, and the break was not fixable (it broke at the round main tube, near the steering).

So time for a new one. Not long after this I had a look around to see what would meet my needs, and I ordered a brand new one in late autumn to have one ready to cycle again at the start of spring. I could fetch it today! Only cycled on it for about two daring kilometers, as we have snow and the roads are very slippery because of sleet. It is my biggest expense in life so far, so a bit careful with my brand new grown-ups toy. Hopefully I can give it a proper go tomorrow if the snow and ice have melted away again (up here we usually have snow and ice for just one day or a at most just a few days at a time). I still need to make some adjustments, such as the steering, seat and pedals need to be set perfectly as the control tools on the steering needs to be set to my needs (I reused the steering of my old bike, as I was more fond of that one than the one delivered with the standard model of the bike).

So will need a few kilometers of cylcing for setting up things, preferably without ice and chilly winds.

Here is a picture of it in the snow.