Pedal pushers panel . Your cycles here.

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
Eutow_Intermedium

Pedal pushers panel . Your cycles here.

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

Along with my long lasting interest in cacti that began in 1993 , I have many other interests. One of those is Cycling and Bicycles.

I thought I would take the opportunity to start up a thread where we can put up pics of our personal self powered two wheel transport.

This is my current flagship bicycle.

It's an Ex Post Office Pashley bicycle with Sturmey Archer 3 speed AW ( coaster brake hub ) and clicker lever. The coaster brake means if you want to brake at the back , you need to pedal backwards. The dutch made chrome rims origional came off my first Ex Post bike ( green one ) which is currently off the road. Double legged stand that came standard off of a dumped Pashley ( mailstar ) , a newer Post Office bike to this model. Layback chromed saddle stem was installed not long after aquiring the bike .

The bright cotterless crank wheel is brand new and from Pashley , as I had to replace the first one as the Mechanic at the bike shop said it was litteraly S*?#%!d. The origional chain had to be replaced too as it was thick with grime and twisted badly.

The bike origionaly had a Sachs T3 gear system with Torpedo clicker , but that rear wheel had to go to install the current one into a respoked wheel.The brakes on the front are internal, so no blocks , but still activated by levers

I left one of the forks on the front red and have since repainted it to give a hint of the bicycles heritage. I think the frame dates to the late 1990's

The metal mud guards came off of an easily 20 yr old Raleigh touring racer , that one of my neighbours made the mistake of dumping out back because he no longer wanted it, I did'nt know it was his, and he was upset when I said i'd stripped it :lol:

The picture was taken at an Electric Sub Station in my area. The wastelands around I have done camping with my gf , my aerosol art, wildlife spotting and photograpy there. The [CAUTION] sign origionaly came from the same Sub Station site , from an older building on the site that was since demolished around the early 2000's. I found these signs dumped in and washed up on the banks of the small river nearby to the site.

This bike was the one that took me to the last local cacti lecture of which I had the four Thelo's , matucana and raffle spoils in the front.

Enjoy
Mostly_Harmless

Re: Pedal pushers panel . Your cycles here.

Post by Mostly_Harmless »

Last edited by Mostly_Harmless on Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
midlife crisis

Post by midlife crisis »

Cool a bike thread
I haven't ridden much lately but I still have a couple of bikes but mainly bike parts :(
Love the old stuff as well as the newer stuff . Actually thinking about it when I got out of the bike trade and stopped riding was a few years ago so most of my stuff is now retro. :lol:
Mostly Harmless your bike collection is about as good as your cacti collection very nice . It has been a while since I have seen thumb shifters and they are friction shifters as well. That is from the time when bike ridding was an art form no clicking into gear. I have not so fond memories picking the wrong gear in a bunch sprint and just having to finish in that gear as there was no way I could change gear with a simplex friction lever on the down tube these days you can change mid sprint. :D
I still have some old collectible parts ( a lot of new sturmey archer hub parts ) and other bits and pieces.
I will try and dig up some pics of my bikes but I think most of the pics are of me crashing them ( mountain bikes) and they were taken before the digital era. :-D

Cheers
Midlife ( Got )
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Not really a bike as I haven't owned one in over 12 years, got fed up enough with having to dig mine out of a snowdrift to pedal to work back home that I never got one when I moved downunder....it's just a bike related photo I snapped a few weeks back during a walk by the local river.

Better do what the sign says!
Eutow_Intermedium

Oh my Snowfella ha ha , that sign is most unfortunate. has gone for a dive.

Yeah M L Crisis if you can put up some pictures of some random bits that would be nice :lol:

Might not be a whole bicycle but *rolls eyes*

This is a picture of the other bicycle I have on stand by at the moment. I'm pretty sure I dragged this bicycle off a skip in my Parents road in 2003. It needed a little bit of work but it was soon on the road. It has gone under many repairs over the years and by now the Bronze fleck paintwork is starting to fade and the origional stickers are wearing away or also fading into obscurity. The most major modification was the instilation of the carrier on the back. Two extra holes had to be drilled into the frame for it to go on , as it never origionaly came with this facility.

This bike a couple of months ago went to Kent and conniseur's cacti , and on the way back was laden with plants in pannier bags.

It's a Camaro GT ( light touring ) racer from 1985 or 1986. With Sachs Huret 5 speed gears of which only recently for the first time ever , they engage perfectly after taking the bike to the local shop and threatening it with a Freewheel fix. :lol: . Ever since i've had the bike , the gears have never worked properley until now.

This is a photo I took of the Camaro GT in Staplehurst ( kent ) with associated reaches on the skate ramps in orange.

This is a slightly older pic , so it does'nt show the polished metal mudguard I installed on the front. You can see an updated pic on my thread in Cacti Places ( kent and conniseur's cacti ). I might put up another up to date pic , some time soon.

And this is me on Google ( street view ) with my 2011 Ridgeback Momentum in Matt Black. Emerging from Nash's Garden. I have been looking after the old dears garden there for 13 years now, we both have some plants in her conservatory there.

This hybrid bike cost me a fair bit of money and to be honest I am less than impressed. I have had to replace several parts , the front deraileur was one as it was frankly naff and was tearing too many pairs of jeans. I had it uprated to a Hone deraileur. The pedals were done too as the origionals were an embarasment , I have Black DMR's on there now.

Thats the crumbling remains of a Koolstop Wilderbeast trailer of 2002 on the back. How it has'nt already fallen to pieces by now I will never know , only two Jubilee clips holding it together. it needs welding realy.

=^-^=

Thats a pretty impressive group of MTB's you have there , way to flash for the likes of me. I am into the more traditional builds.

Yours are spanking and of soon to be classic status. Good to see some projects under way too. keep us updated.

Last edited by Eutow_Intermedium on Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eutow_Intermedium

I took an updated picture of the Camaro GT today. Thought I would take a shot by something colourful in the background.

Unfortunately within the last several days, the Rear reflector fell off after the metal bracket it was attached to was ruffed up and partly sheared. I then took the Bike out and quickly it then fell off into the road.

Here's the camaro GT under the Road/Ex railway bridge at Black Horse lane near me.

I have a little Guerrilla patch there , an unofficial allotment as it were. But keeping it up for the benefit of the community. I will have to declare that very soon and put some pics up.

Rencently I had a Ron day voo with my Girlfriend on the park with the bikes , only to arrive to find this full colour piece with white shade or 3D and an outline under the bridge. I could smell the paint , must have been done the night before. A local Graffiti writer ( artist ) that goes by the name of May.

Enjoy . . . .

=^-^=
Last edited by Eutow_Intermedium on Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

I have several bikes. Two (one at my home, one at my mothers home at the other side of the country) that I use for regular transport (in the Netherlands a bike is used as a main stream of transportation by many people, not just for recreational use.

And I have one bike, a recumbent bike, that I use for long tours during the time of the year when the weather is much better (between late March and early October). On average about once a week during that time, and I always aim at a ride of about 100 kilometers (60-65 miles).
Eutow_Intermedium

Keeping up with the bicycles

Here is a couple of updated pics of the Ex post office ( pashley ) 43x bicycle.

Only the best Photo shoots. I was at Anerley at the time.

I found an old Victorian/Edwardian stained glass window in wooden frame dumped there then. I could'nt take it home that time round as it was too big for the carrier basket and the glass itself was resting on the frame of the carrier. so I brought it back the day I done my Birthday skitz piece.

Close up of the Next Postie

The Next postie with Art by Dfie PS behind.

Enjoy

Yes Aiko I remember finding a Dutch bicycle dumped upside down at Churchfields main sub station site. Was 3 speed sturmey archer. The saddle was missing, chain seized. I did consider taking it home and restoring it. But it looked to be missing a few too many parts and was a bit of a shed frankly. Plus I could'nt move it as it was wired to metal scaffold pole that constitutes the frame of what I call the Cow Shed there.

Somebody else walked away with it months ago.
Last edited by Eutow_Intermedium on Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eutow_Intermedium

=^-^=

In the last week or so I have decided to exhume one of my other bicycles from the External lockup out in the communal. I have the key for a couple of them.

This is a 1984 Hercules Compact ( foldable ) shopper type bicycle in Gold. It belonged to my Adopted Grandpa of who is now in an Old peoples home in my town. I must stress that it wasn't me who put him in Care home but his Neice Yvvone. This subject is a bit sore for me.

The bicycle resided at the top of his stairway in his Basement flat in Addiscombe ( croydon )

It sat there for many years not being used by him , although he had mentioned he had used it in the past. I remember using the bike on the odd occasion. One such memory was when Croydon one year was in flood. And I cycled from Addiscombe to Beckenham on it. On passing through a local country park and I think this was during the summer. I was riding through water that was overflowing from a nearby brook, and the water was up to my ankles and half way up the wheels of this Brompton bike predecessor . That was the days when I used to go to a local Geological society in Beckenham.

After Grandpa Rex was moved out of his flat down to devon after a stay in hospital after a fall. His Neice claimed power of attorney with to my knowledge was illegal and sold his flat , of which my Adopted grandpa was going to leave to me , along with an amount of monies.

The bicycle was taken to my cousin Stuarts house of which it languished in his brick shed for years. Eventualy the roof of the shed began to rot and leak, and fibre glass above a suspended wooden boarding roof was saturated. this only promoted even more rot of corrugated metal roof and wood underneath.

Eventualy my cousin rented a yellow skip and with masks over our faces we began to remove the contents of the shed. I cannot begin to tell you the devastation to my cousins possessions . There were plastic storage boxes full of books and tools and so many other items of his waterlogged property. In fact it was so bad in there that we practically swept the entire contents of the shed out and using gloves, shovel and a broom , lobbed it all into the skip.

Astounded we were when we found one object in there that hadn't rotted to dust. Grandpa Rex's old bicycle.

:shock:

:o

It was then moved to my Lockup where it the languished for even more years in a slightly less damp and even more confined space.

The other day I dragged it out of there and humped it into the kitchen , where I started to work on it. First I turned it upside down and pumped up both tyre's of which both, incredible as it seems are still up and firm today.

Then out came the WD40 and various rags and I liberally sprayed it here and there on the star rust blemished frame before rubbing the entire thing down with rags. Next came the rims of the wheels. For this I got the special stuff out =~_^= , a blue tub of Mequiars metal polysh , and this stuff works wonders. And this resulted in all the chrome rims with much hardship being shined up and hopefully protected from some future corrosion. As well as shining up the rest of the chromed surfaces on the bicycle.

Here are two pictures

The first is before I started the clean up all filthy with tyres down. It's amazing how long it's been off the road , must be some time before 2005 since it last ran.

And here is the second photo that I took after my Nights hard graft , elbow grease and finger bashing.

At first the photo's may look similar , but take my word for it when I say they are in fact different. Look hard and you will in fact see the difference. For one the tyres are up.

On taking the bicycle out for a local test run I found a few rattles and rubs. One was the front reflector of which was vibrating and I gave this a good fussing and tapping , also there was a very regular scratching noise eminating from the bike somewhere. And you know what it's like no matter how you ride along and you look down and crane you head to the side you just cannot pin point the source of the sound. Well I later found this to be the the Crank arm rubbing on the Chain guard. So a bit of force on the chain guard quickly sorted this issue out.

Also out of the three gears. 3 and 2 worked perfectly , but 1 was beginning to become a problem and slowly getting worse leaving me to put force on the lever almost constantly to keep it in the easiest gear. So I eventually tinkered with the adjuster not far from the rear hub , to make the cable tighter and pull the indicator out of the hub just a little bit. That sorted the gearing problem.

Another test ride resulted in me being quite astonished at how this bike , being neglected since 2006 had suddenly erupted back onto the road with absolutely no hitch at all. I understand I know a little more about bicycles than I did back in them days.

It really does feel like more years than that since it resided at Grandpa's old flat. But I guess it isn't.

:-k

=^-^=

Enjoy . . . .
Buckethead

Post by Buckethead »

My old Trek 900 hybrid. I've been a road bike rider most of my life, but wanted a good city bike. A guy I know was going to throw this one out. It had set in a flooded basement where a renter had left it for years and was in pretty sorry condition. I did some research on it, but since it was a one year model that was only made in 1988 there wasn't much info on it. What there was was pretty good though. So I took it off his hands and a local bike shop and I restored it. I've probably put six or seven thousand miles on it since this photo was taken. If you go to flickr and look up Trek 900 you'll see the condition it was in when I got it.
Attachments
007 (2).JPG
007 (2).JPG (186.89 KiB) Viewed 5185 times
Eutow_Intermedium

The Hercules Compact now has black Pin stripes on the mudguards.

Started work on the 1978 Sapphire Blue ( ladies ) Raleigh Traveller tonite.

Gave it a good scrub all over with an old rag covered in WD40. Pretty much every corner has been cleaned up.

The Rear mudguard has been reinstated with a hanger that I had in my spares , hopefully it's not too long. The front hanger comes courtesy of a Ex PO Pashley mailstar. All the back end was reinstated and the Gears hub linked up and I had to tighten up the Shifter on the handle bars as it was a bit loose. It seems to be engaging in all three gears ok.

All I need now is a Respoke of the 3 Speed Sturmey archer hub in a new wheel on the back wheel and a new front wheel. Plus one of the Crank arms are bent after the Bicycle was stamped on by Yobs the last Half term school holiday. This was one of three bicycles targeted. They made a good job of the wheels on this one, esp the back wheel. It was wrecked.

So I rescued it for a Restoration project.

I had a brake cable in my suplies as well as some Brake cable sheath. Unfortunately I don't have a hack saw to cut the cable sheath down so I can cut it down into two sections and do my stuff. The cable is long enough and by the time the cable sheath is cut , there will be enough to go round. But that will be another day.

Regds

Eutow_Int*
Last edited by Eutow_Intermedium on Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Aiko wrote:And I have one bike, a recumbent bike, that I use for long tours during the time of the year when the weather is much better (between late March and early October). On average about once a week during that time, and I always aim at a ride of about 100 kilometers (60-65 miles).
This is my recumbent bike, at a stop during a long tour:

Eutow_Intermedium

Ah yes I remember you saying about this bike. I have seen a few of these in the past on the road before, and thinking these things are absolutely crazy and how do people ride them. Must be a completely different kind of balance and feeling when riding altogether.

It's all very flat where you are in Der Netherlands , and must be a lot easier to get around. A couple of days ago in London hundreds of people were protesting with their bicycles. They piles themselves and their bikes onto their sides in memory of the Cyclist that have lost their lives in the past couple of weeks.

I saw on the news that this had already been done in the Netherlands way back in the 70's. It just shows you how far behind the British are as far as Cycling safety is concerned. Boris the Blonde buffoon is trying his hardest bless but, it's not easy with so many heavy vehicles and busses on the roads.

Cycling seems to have surged in popularity here in the last few years.

Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Eutow_Intermedium wrote:Ah yes I remember you saying about this bike. I have seen a few of these in the past on the road before, and thinking these things are absolutely crazy and how do people ride them. Must be a completely different kind of balance and feeling when riding altogether.
No, it's not hard to ride. Balancing is a bit different, but you can master it in about five to ten minutes. After cycling for about half an hour or an hour you feel very confident. It is a very comfortable bike to cycle on for hours without a break. You don't get any sores as conventional bikes will let you feel after a while. True, the Netherlands does not provide any climbs higher than about 80 metres. That's a plus, because a recumbent bike is not very suitable when you need to climb a lot. You can't put much strength on the pedals by using your body weight, as you can do with conventional bikes.
Buckethead

Post by Buckethead »

Me playing in the snow. I put studded snows on it this year. Those things are incredible! Packed snow and ice don't even phase me.
Attachments
DSCF6444 (2).jpg
DSCF6444 (2).jpg (75.26 KiB) Viewed 5025 times