A rare and awesome sighting...

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
daiv
Site Admin

A rare and awesome sighting...

Post by daiv »

My brother took this picture last night at the farm where my greenhouse is:

Can you make out what it is?
034_bear.jpg
034_bear.jpg (200.03 KiB) Viewed 1426 times
It is a black bear. This is the second time that one has been seen on the family farm in my lifetime. Who knows when or if it will happen again?

Here is a map from the MN DNR showing the range of Black Bears in MN. The red arrow indicates the location of the farm. So you can see that it is well out of even the secondary habitat.
bear_map.jpg
bear_map.jpg (166.64 KiB) Viewed 1426 times
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
bananaman

Re: A rare and awesome sighting...

Post by bananaman »

Wow!!
Awesome!!
Hope this helps!
-bananaman

Check out My Growlist!!!
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Seeing a Black bear "up close and personal" can be quite a thrill!

I live near an area with Black bears. Wekiwa Springs (http://www.floridastateparks.org/wekiwa ... efault.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) Rock Creek Park, the Wekiva River and a lot of open land are all nearby. So, every so often we have news stories about a bear being in some one's tree or yard. There is often news footage of a tranquilized bear falling from his place in the tree and being carted off to the Ocala National Forest. We have a lot of new neighborhoods encroaching on the bear's habitat, so I'm afraid it may be a more and more frequent situation.
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Yes, fun to see them even in their regular habitat, but when they stray like this - it is quite the unexpected thrill. A thrill I like, but of course, not everybody thinks so. The only other bear that I know about was not long afterward shot and killed by some "brave" hunter saving the world from a monster. :roll: Hope this one has a better fate.
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Awsome Daiv, thats almost a daily thing around here out in the woods, always gota make sure to take our bird feeders in at night as they like to distroy them and eat the seeds.. :evil:
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I would expect you would have bears over there. Your area is a lot like MN in the red part of the map above.
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... bled=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thought you might be interested in this timely visit to a neighborhood a mile or so from my house...
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
majcka

Post by majcka »

Harriet wrote:http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... bled=false

Thought you might be interested in this timely visit to a neighborhood a mile or so from my house...
We have it published on our portal too:

http://dominvrt.si/clanek/rubrika/trend ... ujeli.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

RayC

Post by RayC »

Pretty neat to see one when unexpected. They are making a resurgence here in Connecticut after a very long absense and in the past few years there have been a number of them that show up populated areas. I haven't personaly seen one in my town (although they have made an appearance now and then). I was surprised when I caught this on game -cam a few years back.

I had been trying to get pics of these at the time (also new arrivals here after absense) :

Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

we had a Black Bear that was up a tree where I lived in PA. Naturally the police were idiots and shot it with a tranquilizer dart and the bear fell 50 feet and died. Why they didn't understand that is what was going to happen beats the heck out of me.

Daiv, where a friend of mine lives in WI they have had a black bear roaming around. (near Madison, I think North of the town itself)

I dont know the range for black bears everywhere, but I assumed that they were more north than Madison.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.