Well I'm Glad That's Over With!

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
daiv
Site Admin

Re: Well I'm Glad That's Over With!

Post by daiv »

Whoops, I remember that now. I don't know why I forgot about it. It is similar to what my dad uses. I like those where you can sit around and enjoy the fire too. Mine is none-too-pretty to sit by and with the poor design, you don't want to have the door open any longer than you have to.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

:coffee: Well im beat to the core and hurting :( , got row 2 done and now on row 3, another day out and we will have row 3 half way done, hey row 4 maybe :P LOL!! Will see how far we get only gona keep cutting for another 2 weeks then we are done for awhile. :mrgreen: Got the garage outside wall done as well its 6ft tall im not going any taller unless i bring home more crap wood. All this time i have missed ALOT of cacti and succulents blooming in the GH by the time i get done its evenning time and the blooms are closed POOOOOY!! so much for snapping pics, but for the next few days we are taking a break and running our summer end holiday plant sale, maybe i will catch bloomers then.. :wink:

row 2 done 51ft, row 3 started.
garage outside wall done for now.

Hey Daiv ya start cutting wood yet? :lol:
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Wow! That is a LOT of work! I think you've got enough for 3 winters or more.

I won't start cutting until October. Then I go like crazy. Only 10 cords will suffice for me.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

haha nice wood pile Tracey.

I have my own with about 3 mesquite logs and a few stumps. I burnt the junk wood IE Palo Verde in my burn barrel with some yard waste.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
John C

Post by John C »

:shock: WOW! THAT'S A LOT OF WOOD!!! :shock:
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Daiv, i dont think theres enough for 3 yrs :-k we keep up at the rate we are going we could sell few truck loads and still have enough to get by, we are going back out in the morn will be done in time to open for our plant sale since we get out in the woods just as its getting light out we can cut and fill the truck within 2 hrs. Your lucky you dont need much, i would always rather be safe than sorry dont need to make hubby go cut trees in a blizzard just cause we ran out LOL!! :lol: Next yr we are gona sell wood the way folks go thru it around here not only for heating in winter but all those weekenders/campers they buy alot of wood to use as well. Hubby loves the new chainsaw i got him cuts them trees like butter. :mrgreen: Will have to take the cam with me some morn and snap pics of the trees we are cutting theres some that are really big. I know popal trees stink but WOW came across one hubby was cutting and it really stunk :shock: PEEEE UUUUUUUUU :tongue6: had to hold my breath while i was pickin up the logs and stacking it in the truck. :lol: Wasnt any better when he split it on the log spliter and i had to carry it and stack it WOW talk about stench ICKY my poor shirt even stunk from it.. Good thing that wood is staying outside HA!!!!!

Yup John thats alot of wood. :wink: :wave:

Peter how well does that Palo Verde wood burn???
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Are you cutting much soft wood? I don't bother with Poplar or Boxelder, etc. It isn't worth the effort to me. Usually the soft woods are harder to split as well (I do it by hand.) There are a few different Poplars that occur in your area and here. "Quaking Aspen" Populus tremuloides is supposed to be the most widespread tree in the world -triangular leaves with very fine "teeth". "Bigtooth Aspen" Populus grandidentata is much less common and has leaves with large toothed margins. Then you have "Balm of Gilead Poplar" or "Balsam Poplar" Populus balsamifera - the leaves have silvery backs on them and they are super fragrant. I think the smell is actually quite pleasant from a distance - say walking under the tree. But when you get a high concentration -like cutting it - I agree it gets to be too much!

Of course there are imports like Lombardy and the Cottonwoods are also poplars. All of them have flattened leaf-stems which enable them to more easily wave back and forth in the wind. This lets filtered light down between the leaves. And so a stand of these trees always seems to have more life under it than other trees.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Tracey,
depends how hot the fire is. If I put one in my burn barrel, it burns completely in about half an hour if it's dry and dead... If it's green I dont think that if I put it in a blast furnace it would actually burn..

Mesquite is good for burning. (it's also good for the BBQ :))
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.