Well I'm Glad That's Over With!

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
Peterthecactusguy

Re: Well I'm Glad That's Over With!

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

at least you guys have wood stoves and furnaces. Here in AZ we don't have many furnaces and wood burning stoves are hard to find. My electric bill in the summer and winter is bad, but not as bad as the propane, which cost around $300 and the propane heaters used it up in less than a month. Back then I couldnt afford that, now I don't have $300 to my name.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
majcka

Post by majcka »

Peterthecactusguy wrote:at least you guys have wood stoves and furnaces. Here in AZ we don't have many furnaces and wood burning stoves are hard to find. My electric bill in the summer and winter is bad, but not as bad as the propane, which cost around $300 and the propane heaters used it up in less than a month. Back then I couldnt afford that, now I don't have $300 to my name.
Try to store some heat for winter season. Your electric bill will look nicely. Image
cactushobbyman wrote:I have split, cut, stack and now I just carry a 40lb. sack of pellets into the house.
We have pellets aswell. But we don't need to carry them around because the truch blew them into the silo. We just push the button and the thing works.

If electicity goes out, that is a different storry:
cactushobbyman wrote:If the power goes out, extra blankets will work. Not too many days under 32 degrees.
We just love each other more than ever.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Well just a quick update im beat to the core :( brused all over :cry: hands are sore as i hate using gloves, i have the 14x8 wood room done and left a walk path in the room so i can still toss wood into the shoot, then i started another wall row in another part of the basement thats 12ft long also have 2 massive rows going outside by the brick wall thats about 24ft or more long and then 2 rows going against the garage and also some wood in the garage, we cut and haul, split and stack for few days then stop for one then back at it again, we go out early in the morn so by the time its the hottest at 1pm we are in the house. We will continue to do this for the next month or more always to be safe having more than enough wood than not. LOL!! Will post some pics in few days of what i have gottin done so far.. Daiv, this is a pain in the arse #-o LOL!! But been there and done it befour its to be expected HA!! :mrgreen: Last time i did all this i was ALOT younger.. :lol:
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Tracy, sounds like you might have around 10 cords put up? If the 14x8 room has at least a 7 foot ceiling that would be over 6 cords alone.

I burn around 9 cords here, but then this house could seriously use new windows and some updated insulation. My dad can heat his similar-sized house with about 3 1/2 cords - insulation really helps!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

daiv wrote:Tracy, sounds like you might have around 10 cords put up? If the 14x8 room has at least a 7 foot ceiling that would be over 6 cords alone.

I burn around 9 cords here, but then this house could seriously use new windows and some updated insulation. My dad can heat his similar-sized house with about 3 1/2 cords - insulation really helps!
Best money I ever spent was on new windows, doors, and more insulation. Cooling bills have dropped by at least a third, and it takes nothing to heat this house now. Plus there is the under appreciated benefit of sound insulation... my house is quiet now!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

daiv wrote:Tracy, sounds like you might have around 10 cords put up? If the 14x8 room has at least a 7 foot ceiling that would be over 6 cords alone.

Theres about 6 or so cords in the wood room and im working on another section down in the basement, today the neighbor from across the road came over and saw all the wood we have now he says we have 12 or more cords stacked so far and we are FAR from being done. Gona keep on cutting wood till prob end september. I just orderd hubby a new chiansaw with case, tools, extra chains and other goodies as our ol Stihl is havin issues so its time for a newer saw. :D Neighbor gave us his wood spliter to use for awhile so that makes spliting the huge logs up real easy. Will get pics in few days, just been real busy and im very tierd.. I dont know about you Daiv but i think we are gona have a bad winter this yr. We have been cutting alot of Cherry, Red Oak, Elm, Maple and some beach, Ash and also alittle crap poplar that stuff stinks so its left outside. We like the Red Oak, Cherry, Elm the most for burrning.

Harriet, theres a BIG diffrence from where you live and where we live, we do plastic up some windows and such durring winter time it really helps keep the house warmer i dont use the front door or back deck door at that time so we cover that as well as the slidder doors. I do leave a few windows uncoverd as i want to be able to open them for fresh air durring the winter.
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

I figured out that there is a difference between Michigan and Florida, but insulation and better windows and doors make a big difference no matter where you live. It keeps me cool here, but it would keep you warm up there!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
Peterthecactusguy

In AZ better insulation means.. when we have hot days like today (with our first heat advisory of the year) it keeps you cooler, and in the winter when it gets below freezing you stay warmer. Alas my house has bad insulation. so cold at night in winter and warm during the day in summer...
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Harriet wrote:I figured out that there is a difference between Michigan and Florida, but insulation and better windows and doors make a big difference no matter where you live. It keeps me cool here, but it would keep you warm up there!
Oh trust me we will be VERY warm this winter, and im not givin up my Anderson windows for nothin, not gona replace my doors nither [-( i dont need to be wasting money on stuff like that when theres other things i need the funds for. Its all a matter of how we prepare our home for winter that counts. :D
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) Here ya go Daiv this is what i have done so far, we start off with outside, the pic of the wood wall LOL!! The first wall row is 51 ft long and 5 1/2 ft high almost got it done and will be starting on the second 51 ft row on monday. :P Im hoping to have 3 rows done by end of next month.

Then this section side of the garage, its 24ft long by as high as i can pitch the wood up there prob about 7ft by the time i get it done, this is our bullcrap wood, leftovers, ones to small or crap we just wont use till we have to.. LOL!! :lol:
I still have to finish this one out.

Then you go into the garage to the wood shoot area where the rug is you can kinda make out the opening for the shoot, that other wood along the door rail is 4 1/2 ft high and 5 ft long, the other against the wall is just starter crap i stuffed in there.

Then down to the wood room, here is how it looked after i tossed a load in need to stack it along a wall outside of the wood room in the basement.

Then after i cleaned up, on the right corner back row up front is my pile of starter wood, then a row of bigger wood infront of that, theres 4 rows of wood in this room 3 on sides and 1 in back, left my pathway open to pick out all night logs. :mrgreen: Wood is stacked almost 7ft high.
middle shot
wood shoot wall side cant see the shoot i got wood stacked right up to the buttom of the shoot.. LOL!!

and last wall stacked and done, its 10ft long by almost 4 1/2 ft tall.

Im done down stairs now, back to stacking outside and then work on more for the inside of the garage. :P

Am i sick of working with wood YOU BETCHYA!! #-o

All hubby does is cut the trees, i load then get home and unload, he splits it and i lug and stack it where it needs to go, he aint even been down in the wood room to see how well i did.. :-k I think i did pretty good so far. LOL!!!
John C

Post by John C »

WOW! That is a heck of a lot of wood!!!! :shock:

Wouldn't get much use here, except maybe for campfires ;)
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
majcka

Post by majcka »

To me it looks like there is going to be a hard winter. And reminds me of a joke I once heard. I hope I tell it the right way;

Indians went to ask their mage how hard winter will be. The mage said: "hard winter". And indians went out to woods to colect wood. There was no hard winter that year. Next year indians went to ask mage how hard winter will it be. He said: "hard winter" and indians went out to woods to collect wood for the winter. Again no hard winter. Next year happened the same. For the fourth year the mage was afraid to tell anything. He went to ask the meteorologist how next winter will be. The meteorologist said: "Hard, hard winter. The indians collect wood for three years already."

And that stack of firewood of yours remind me of that hard winter. :D
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Looks great! I just realized that the topic of this thread comments on being finished with the job. However, in about a month, I will be starting all over again! Man that is coming up fast!

Hey what have you got for a furnace? I have this one:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200446700" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only mine is an older model and I paid a little less than half that price.

The newer model has a sliding plate that enables the smoke to go straight up the chimney instead of having to make an "S" curve towards the door. As a result, I get a LOT of smoke back when I open the door. Way too much for a modern wood burner. The other thing mine lacks is a shaker for the ashes. So I have to slide around the poker on the grate to clear the ashes.

So overall, I'm not very happy with it, but I'm stuck with it.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) Daiv i had posted about what we eneded up with back on page one but heres a link to it again
http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Nashua/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We have the larger model the NFP-2 heats 12,000 to 16,000 cubic feet. Its a real big SUPER heavy model like over 500 pounds. We found it on craigslist and got it for a super reasonable price its in awsome condition and all i had to do was clean the blower unit and clean the glass on the door. That one you got is a furnace add on from what i see, we were gona go that route but desided to go straight wood stove hooked up to our furnace duct work not the furnace itself, the wood stove has a excellent blower on it. I have been reading alot of reviews and talking to alot of folks that use furnace add on's and they have not had the best results and have been getting rid of that infavor of the plain wood stove with blower hooked up to duct work. That grid thats in it lets alot of heat escape or something to that effect so dont heat up as well as a wood stove without one. I guess this yr will be our trial yr for this.. LOL!! Hubby got his new chain saw i orderd for him today so hes gona be breeeeeeeeeeezing thru some trees tomarrow.. :P Its been very chilly here at night and for the first few hrs in the morn so thats when we go out real early in the morn so its not hot out durring wood cutting. We have along way to go cutting and will be at this for few more weeks yet. Hope you get yours going as i think we are n for a early and bad winter.
Peterthecactusguy

sigh. I hate chain saws, or I would have wood for my outdoor patio and maybe get a wood burning stove to warm up my house come winter time. It's quite cold here in central AZ sometimes.