Birds!

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
Eutow_Intermedium

Re: Birds!

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

=^~^=

Found a young Starling yesterday in the middle of Norwood Junction. Had to take it in, as it had fallen three stories from the eaves of a villa and was just hopping around on the pavement, luckily no damage. Nothing but roads, pavements, cars and people walking up and down, very vulnerable situation. And certainly no Grassy lawns of shrubs, let alone a front garden to hide deposit or conceal it in.

I called the Riverside Animal Centre ( beddington ) and the lady said they would take it in. But these birds are pretty hardy and can be hand reared. She even mention feeding it a bit of cat food

:lol:

Just as well I have some of that stuff.

Going to call my new temporary friend Rawkus , as in " Bring the rawkus " looks to be that kind of fella.

Been feeding him up chopped worms, wheat seeds, ground Mealworm. Just went out and came back with a few more worms, one nice big one, a couple of small slugs and a centipede. Had a couple of woodlice yesterday.

This one unlike the Pigeon has both wings, so i'm hoping to release the cheeky chappie eventually.

=^-^=
JamesEG

Post by JamesEG »

Sounds like the little guy is lucky to still be alive, I heard once that if young birds are found they should be left as the parents will still feed them, but this definitely sounds like an exception to that rule! Especially if he couldn't fly. Seems likes he's got a very good temporary home :D

I haven't seen starlings in a few years but this year I've been seeing them more or less every day, they seem to be making a comeback :) some people don't like them but I think they're lovely birds
majcka

Post by majcka »

I got this one today from our kitchen window. That's why the Picture is a bit fuzzy (long distance shoot):
Buteo buteo
Buteo buteo
Kanja.JPG (119.5 KiB) Viewed 6498 times
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Eutow_Intermedium

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

Yeah Rawkus died four days after I picked him up. Very unexpected

:(

Next time I find a such bird in a totally urban situation, i'm taking it start to Riverside animal centre at Beddington .
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

majcka wrote:I got this one today from our kitchen window. That's why the Picture is a bit fuzzy (long distance shoot):
Birding is one of the situations that could end you in trouble with the better half Maja, ie you will have to try to find an explanation to just where that big long new lens came from! :lol:
I've got the bug so in a few months when I've saved up for it I'll have to explain just why I needed that nice new lens rather than spend it on a holiday. Least I go for a 'budget" one rather than one where I'd have to explain why something the value of a new small car is doing in the camera cabinet
http://store.sony.com/500mm-f4-g-ssm-su ... %3Dfaceted :shock:

Some recent birds caught.
White faced heron

Australian pelican

Black-shouldered kite

Eastern great egret

unknown.

Little corella
majcka

Post by majcka »

Oh goodness. I have nothing of a Kind, SnowFella. Nor that expencive. I got my 200 mm lenses in a pack deal with the camera. That's all. :lol:
Maja

Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Wish I could get something like that but the wife would have my head, or select other bodyparts, if I spent up like that!
I'm more aiming towards either a Sigma 150-500 or Tamron 150-600, gives me plenty more reach than my current 75-300 lens. Going to be a heavy package to carry around though as camera and lens will start approaching 3kg.

Public holiday down here so I got out of work early, with some time to kill before picking the wife up at work I grabbed the camera and headed down to the local river for a walk. Just checking through the results right now but I think I got a few keepers. :D

Edit: here's 4 of the results, all shot with my Sony A77 and an old Minolta 70-210mm F4 lens.
210mm, f/5.6, ISO160, 1/400sec

210mm, f/5.6, ISO400, 1/400sec

210mm, f/5.6, ISO200, 1/400sec

210mm, f/5.6, ISO400, 1/400sec
Buckethead

Post by Buckethead »

Wild turkey along a south Lincoln bike trail this afternoon. I got the one shot before it went into some heavy woods.
Attachments
DSCF8240 (2).jpg
DSCF8240 (2).jpg (46.95 KiB) Viewed 6449 times
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Afternoon spent shooting small birds with "big" lens. Once I get the new lens I'll be able to get even closer :lol:

majcka

Post by majcka »

If you get much closer we won't be able to see anything, becouse you'll sit between feathers. Image
Maja

Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Nah, just means I can stand further back and get the same kinda shot more or less.
You have to factor in magnification factor and minimum focus distance. I can acctually get closer with the current 75-300mm lens than I will with the 15-500mm lens I'm looking at getting.
The 75-300mm gives 0.26x magnification at a minimum distance of 1.5 meters while the 150-500 can only focus down to 2.2 meters and there gives 0.19x magnification. So for things like this when I can get close I'd still be better off with the old lens.

Plus the above shots were all cropped down to get closer. This one on the other hand is straight out of camera with no crop, lens set at 280mm was hard up against the minimum focus distance.
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Got lucky the other day and caught something I never thought I'd ever see, Swift Parrots. Only photos I managed really suck but it's still a sighting of a bird where only approximately 1000 breeding pairs still exist in the wild.
Got photos of 2 individuals but there was probably 10 all up in the tree.

SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Some more recent shots, including ones from the new Sigma 150-500 lens.

Female Superb Fairy-wren

Male Superb Fairy-wren

Rock warbler

Eastern yellow robin

Little pied cormorant

Little black cormorant

Got scores more but don't want to photobomb the thread to much, guess with spring booming down here it's time to start taking some cacti photos :oops:
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Been a few months now since I posted last in this thread, spring and summer kicked off with a vengeance down here and plants are kicking into overdrive...but I still keep shooting little things with feathers rather than flowers :oops:
Some of the shots I've managed over the last few months.

Satin Bowerbird, female.

Bell Miner

Sacred Kingfisher, juvenile

Red-Wiskered Bulbul

Brown Honeyeater

Black Shouldered Kite

Dollarbird
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Colour overload.
Found a very friendly Azure Kingfisher in a local park and have been doing the most of the situation. First shot I've already got printed as a 12x8 to go up on the wall along with a Rainbow Lorikeet shot..last image in this post but with some added post work.