Birds!

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
DustBunny

Post by DustBunny »

Here are some I took last weekend at Starved Rock in IL. The eagles migrate down here to spend the winter but some of them stick around all year.

Pair hanging out by their nest

A couple flying

Lair3514

Cooper or sharp-shinned hawk: Does anyone see what I see?

Post by Lair3514 »

Took these pictures this morning with zoom at max (never enough zoom). When I had them in editing process I began to notice something strange.

Notice the hawk's right foot is perched on snag, but where is other claw? As you view the sequence, notice a disturbance of chest feathers and see what emerges. Does it look like this hawk may have an aberrantly placed second claw?

Other opinions/interpretations?

On thinking this through again, the hawk must have the other claw retracted under feathers against chest. That would be the more logical explanation. I didn't realize hawks perch on one leg. Maybe a lame left claw? Yeh, that's probably it.
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

It is really not unusual for birds to perch on one foot. Here are a couple doing the same thing:
DSC_1852.JPG
DSC_1852.JPG (82.64 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
DSC_0992.JPG
DSC_0992.JPG (39.3 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
Last edited by Harriet on Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I think we don't see or notice that in hawks quite so much since they are usually a long way off and even close you don't see their feet that well. Neat pictures either way.

Just guessing yours is a juvenile sharp-shined hawk.

Not sure about Harriet's - maybe she will tell? I like seeing the long-leaf pine too.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

We have a family of Red Shouldered Hawks in the area so I have a lot of pictures of them. There are a couple of pines in the back that they like to hang out in but even so, I was surprised to be able to get such close up shots.

These birds are a light version of the species. Florida tends to have its share of "light phase" birds. the Great White Heron is another good example.
Lair3514

Post by Lair3514 »

Thanks for the pictures, comments, discussion of hawk perching and ID!
Lair3514

Harris's Hawk? ID confirm or assist

Post by Lair3514 »

Photos from 02/07/2011. Pulled into driveway and saw hawk. Got camera and snapped away. My IDs aren't too reliable. How about Harris's hawk? Thanks for assist.
Whatever the ID, it was good to see something besides pigeons perched up there. It flew away as I was trying to get it in frame. I didn't get a fix on what it went after. If it is a Harris, Internet said Harris's hawks go after mammals (mice, rats, rabbits) but will settle for birds, lizards in their absence.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Lair, that does look like a Harris' Hawk. I have gotten pictures of those before in Black Canyon City. They are neat birds. I should dig up some of my bird pictures up some day when I am bored.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Handsome bird, great pictures!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Yeah great pics! The first two really give you a good look at the various markings.

I was fortunate to see one of these guys this past fall. Pics on page 4 of this thread.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Peterthecactusguy

Ok after looking through this thread there are lots of neat pics and such, but I liked Lair's pics of the Roadrunner. I have seen one of those very close to where TimN lives on a what was once a vacant lot and now has stuff there near the Frys/self storage place. It was a very curious bird and practically walked up to me with a lizard in its mouth. It spit the lizard out and ran away eventually. I feel lucky to have seen a few of them in person before. (edit)
here is one of I think a crane, but do those show up in AZ?
Image(re-edit) zoom in on the picture to find it, or it's on the rock in the middle of the picture sorta.
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Not a crane, unless I am misjudging scale. Also, I think that it would be unusual to see a crane with posture like that. Maybe an egret or heron, but it is too hard to ID from that picture. Also, I am handicapped by east coast preconceptions.

Cranes are really large. Here is a Sand Hill up close:
DSC_0511.JPG
DSC_0511.JPG (37.37 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
There is a picture of a Snowy Egret on page 1 of this thread, and here is similar bird (Cattle Egret) in a different pose:
DSC_0503.JPG
DSC_0503.JPG (52.85 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
I hope you can see why it is hard to ID your bird. Sometimes they are as hard to ID as cacti, and close ups may be required!

(Notice that the egret is standing on one foot, just like the perching hawks on this page.)
Last edited by Harriet on Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Great pics everyone! :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Peterthecactusguy

Harriet,
no, I understand. I have had a bird sitting 6 inches from me that I still haven't figured out what it was.

The photo is a bad one. I was far away. The rock it's standing on is probably around 2 feet high.
I tried to move in closer, but the bird took off. It had mostly white on its wings and was rather large, but I don't think it was a crane now that I think about it.
I have seen a crane before and it WAS huge.

Thanks. I will try and get a better picture next time.
Lair3514

Hummingbird quickie.

Post by Lair3514 »

Thanks, PTCG and Daiv, on Harris's Hawk ID. Nice pictures on p.4, Daiv. Pictures of crane and egret very good, Harriet.

Is this a Black-chinned hummingbird (male)?
He got away before I could get another click. I drove over to a wash to look for material for February "new growth" contest. As I was finishing on that, this little fellow lit on a branch nearby. A nice bonus shot but I wish he had lingered a bit longer.