Birds!

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
SnowFella

Re: Birds!

Post by SnowFella »

Youngest stepson had his birthday today and his girlfriend organised a birthday picknick out in the Blue Mountains national park, glad I took the camera and longer lens with me as there was plenty of wildlife around.

First some cheeky kookaburra's, parked themselves right above the tables and nicked every scrap of unguarded food.

The Sulfur crested cockatoo's tried eyeing off the food aswell.

Few Rainbow lorikeets around, harder to catch though.

And no Aussie parks visit is complete without skipps, think these guys might be Eastern Grey's
majcka

Post by majcka »

I only can see those in ZOO.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Pretty! =D>
majcka wrote:I only can see those in ZOO.
Same here :( .
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Sharpy

Post by Sharpy »

I lived outside of Brisbane for 4 years. The kookaburra's were a neat and novel thing when we first moved there. Didn't take long to realize how annoying they can be :wink:

Thanks for the pics, brings back a lot of memories from over the pond!
Sharpy (Doug)

Just say NO to glochids!
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Don't really get many of them down in the suburbs, kookaburra's that is, so it was alittle bit of a novelty. The annoying ones around here are myna birds, friggin pests around the suburbs, and magpies. Got some tall trees right around the house that they normally nest in so spring swooping season can get interesting, 2 years back I was almost contemplating a helmet while mowing or cleaning the pool.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hey that's great - thanks for posting some non-North American birds!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

the antics of those kookaburas or whatever they were called reminds me of sea gulls and blue jays from back east, and out here the cactus wren. I have to admit the most annoying bird I have been around is a cactus wren. They are noisy, chattery esp around sunup when you are trying to sleep, and they will attack a cat or a dog by swooping in them. They are also common, and their nests are usually in either saguaros or in large chollas. However it's neat to see pictures of birds from elsewhere :)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Peterthecactusguy

Image The weather is changing here in the desert. The Monsoon has ended and it's entering the more typical Fall/Winter weather. Right now it's dry, but soon it will rain. And we should have a wet winter this year. And so that means that the Vultures are leaving and heading way down Mexico's way to winter where it's warm. This one was a straggler, the main flock (?) of the vultures was south, more over Black Canyon City. This guy was north of town using the thermals and winds to guide him south towards Mexico.
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

I didn't get a picture but Sunday just north of my house the Turkey vultures were on the move. To many to count, I guess around 100. Every year they migrate by in vast numbers.
Peterthecactusguy

yeah, they don't do the cold very well, I don't think. So off to Mexico and points south. When I say Mexico I am talking like way down south in Mexico. BTW I just noticed my camera decided to focus on the mesquite branches lol
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Peterthecactusguy wrote:yeah, they don't do the cold very well, I don't think. So off to Mexico and points south. When I say Mexico I am talking like way down south in Mexico. BTW I just noticed my camera decided to focus on the mesquite branches lol
I looked to the east near sunset and I was able to get a few in a picture. Just one property from my house. I guess about a hundred or so. This happens every year. Now I need to get a picture of my geese that fly by in the morning and at night.
Resting for the night
Resting for the night
1.jpg (111.83 KiB) Viewed 1774 times
More coming in
More coming in
2.jpg (102.73 KiB) Viewed 1774 times
8)
Peterthecactusguy

yeah, it's strange and cool to see so many of them. They move in rather large groups. I have seen geese flying over AZ before and I have no idea what they are. They should be coming soon actually. (I think they stop at Lake Pleasant which is about 30 or so miles from BCC)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Wow, that is a lot of vultures in one place. I've never seen that - pretty neat!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Peterthecactusguy

I have seen them like that once during the spring when a whole .. flock.. (murder, clutch, whatever describes a bunch of vultures were going north in spring)
peterb

Post by peterb »

Frigate birds on Pachycereus pringlei along the gulf coast, East Cape, BCS. (my photo)

Also, peach faced love birds in a saguaro, Scottsdale AZ. (not my photo. Haven't seen these yet, but want to).

peterb
Attachments
frigate.jpg
frigate.jpg (22.59 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
pflveon2.jpg
pflveon2.jpg (29.16 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
Zone 9