wanted: strombocactus sp.

Post requests and offers of plants you would like to trade. -Read Rules First!
cefalophone

wanted: strombocactus sp.

Post by cefalophone »

Hello, I am looking for strombocactus esperenzae and jarmilae plants or seeds. Preferably two of each, non clones if live plants. Don't have much to trade at the moment but can pay reasonable price.

Also, this may be a long shot, but I'd like strombocactus corregidorae as well.
Aiko

Re: wanted: strombocactus sp.

Post by Aiko »

Seeds of all three are available as seeds. Just check the 'Updated seed lists' and all updates since last October. I believe ADBLPS and / or some of the Czech seed sellers sell Strombocactus corregidorae. Not even that expensive.
cefalophone

Post by cefalophone »

Thanks. Found the list and will be going through it now.

I am trying to source them in the u.s or from private collectors since most of the seed suppliers in the e.u have them listed as e.u only. I am placing an order with succseed soon and that is how they have them listed. I'm still waiting to hear back from them if it will be possible for me to purchase them and be able to have them sent to me.
cefalophone

Post by cefalophone »

Thanks again Aiko. I found a source for seeds from the list. I'll be ordering some later today.

I'd still like some live plants just in case my seeds don't germ. Mexican species always give me some difficulty from seed.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

cefalophone wrote:I'd still like some live plants just in case my seeds don't germ. Mexican species always give me some difficulty from seed.
They will germinate. But use the so called baggy method. Really, use it. Sowing without the baggy method will still allow for good germination rates for Strombocactus, but it will not be very likely you still have some left after some months as they will all one by one fall away.

So sow them in well sterilised soil and keep them in a bag for one or two years (without opening it!). Preferably in multiple pots all in a separate bag, just in case one of the pots will get infected with algae and such, so you will have some spare pots left.
cefalophone

Post by cefalophone »

Thanks for the tips. I always use the baggy method and keep everything as sterile as possible. I never heard of keeping the bag sealed though. Most folks say to open the bag once in a while to give them some fresh air. But I'll take your advice and just leave them be for as long as possible.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

cefalophone wrote:Thanks for the tips. I always use the baggy method and keep everything as sterile as possible. I never heard of keeping the bag sealed though. Most folks say to open the bag once in a while to give them some fresh air. But I'll take your advice and just leave them be for as long as possible.
Keeping he bag closed for a very long time is recommended by many for some species such as Blossfeldia, Aztekium and Strombocactus. I have done so for all three species and I must say there is definitely a big difference when it comes to damping off seedlings in the bag or already out the bag in their first two years. I am sure you can look up support advices for these three species on this forum or on the BCSS forum.
cefalophone

Post by cefalophone »

Good to know. This will be my first time growing these species from seed so hopefully I can get it right. I don't know why it took me so long to become interested in them. They are amazing looking cacti.