Opuntia erinacea with long thin spines

Post requests and offers of plants you would like to trade. -Read Rules First!
A. Dean Stock

Opuntia erinacea with long thin spines

Post by A. Dean Stock »

I'm looking for cuttings or whole plants of Opuntia erinacea with long thin spines. Those with locality data a plus. I'm especially fond of those with long wavy white spines. I can trade pads of many western U.S. Opuntia species and hybrids. I have lots of O. pinkavae, O. aurea and O. aurea hybrids with several other species. Most are very cold hardy with attractive flowers. Also a number of small growing O. fragilis hybrids.
Dean
Albert Dean Stock,Ph.D.
hoteidoc

Re: Opuntia erinacea with long thin spines

Post by hoteidoc »

Dean - I've got a couple of O. erinacea v. ursina plants (no location), but need to wait until end of May. We're still in Winter here, but Spring is getting close :roll: Send me PM with your address, and I'll send out. Am looking for a "true" santa-rita if you're got one (or can get). Otherwise, it'll just be a "contribution" to your work & "education" here on the Forum which I always appreciate. :wink:
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
A. Dean Stock

Re: Opuntia erinacea with long thin spines

Post by A. Dean Stock »

Thank you!! I don't grow true O. santa-rita here but they are common in landscape gardens all over St. George, Utah. I get over there about once a month and I'll try to locate someone who is willing to part with a few pads. I'm at 5100' so not quite full spring here yet either but certainly warmer than your location.
Dean
Albert Dean Stock,Ph.D.