Does anyone have any ideas FOR Round Robin 2014

Post requests and offers of plants you would like to trade. -Read Rules First!
apfire

Does anyone have any ideas FOR Round Robin 2014

Post by apfire »

I am already thinking about "ROUND ROBIN 2014". One of the suggestions was for better labeling of plants. Another was to try to mail in such a way that postage cost are controlled. I would also like to delay the start so that Bobby Z. can participate. All are do able. What are your thoughts and ideas?
I am just looking for the defining statement to put here. Follow this link to see my other cacti.
http://s290.photobucket.com/user/apfire ... cti%202013, 2014 http://s290.photobucket.com/user/apfire ... New%20Year
Saxicola

Re: Does anyone have any ideas FOR Round Robin 2014

Post by Saxicola »

Since I've been doing a ton of shipping with my Ebay business, I thought I'd mention a bit about shipping and keeping costs low. I use USPS for everything unless the weight is getting pretty high (above 5 pounds I think).

First of all, DON"T USE FLAT RATE BOXES unless the package is very heavy. They are a rip off for the lighter weight packages. Yes, the small flat rate box is on par with regular priority mail, but the box is too small for all but the smallest plants. A large flat rate box (which isn't that large) is nearly $17 I think!

If you can keep the weight under 13 ounces send it First Class Package. The price is half that or less of Priority Mail and it is exactly the same thing. Sure USPS pretends they are different, but your package will get there just as fast with first class. Pricing is by the ounce for First Class.

Above 13 ounces use Priority Mail, but again NOT flat rate. Once you go over the 13 ounce flat rate limit then your next weight limit is 1 pound. You save as much as a few dollars if you can keep it at 15.9 ounces vs. 16.1. After that Priority Mail price changes at each pound (meaning 16.1 ounces costs the same as 31.9 and so on).

Basically, be aware of weight and if you are near one of the lines try and see if you can keep it in the lower weight class. I could easily envision a scenario where someone who doesn't know better pays $17 for shipping while someone like me who does could ship the same plant for $3.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
BobbyZ

Post by BobbyZ »

Here is an idea, instead of a round robin, a mystery swap. All that are interested sign up and we can have someone outside the country asign who sends to who. Everyone will fill up a small priority mail box with plants and cuttings and send to their assigned recipient. This way all will recieve a package within less than a week. Perhaps someone like cactusfandan, majka or Y'all want will pick who sends to who. This way the sender and recipient are not paired and we can take pictures later on. We can return the favor if the Europeans would care to do likewise. This is simple and can be done twice a year. Bobby Z
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

In general, I like the large variety available with "group" mailing.
Sax - Postage info extremely useful!
Ap - Definitely agree better labelling!
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
cgillett5

Post by cgillett5 »

I have never participated in this, but would like to. One way to keep cost down is to set up the people by region. It also keeps time down between people. If cost is an issue, maybe limiting how much each person puts in the box, either by only so many plants each or so many ounces each. It is just a thought. If the person who gets the box is worried about what it will cost to ship, they can all ways keep more plants.

I know I pay any where from $4 to $10 per plant I buy, just depending on plant and size. If it cost me $17 to send the box, I would be fine with that as long as I kept a plant or two.

Just out of curiosity, how expensive did it get on the last round? May be letting everyone interested in this know right off the bat would allow them to make the decision if it is worth it for them.
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

I think when I got the box (later in the round & it was BIG!), postage ran @ $12 to send out. cg - I like your idea of "take more" if worried @ postage cost :wink: Misc: 1) I don't think the time-lapse was more that a day or 2 whether it went up/down E. coast or X-country :-k; 2) S & H for many Internet nurseries is $7 - $13 anyway, so when you getting up around $20, that's getting a little high. But Sax' hints were good for that -- as well as cg's "take more"; 3) I also got concerned because I'm guessing value of plants was easily $200, but extra insurance definitely adds cost. Also, there were a # of BIG cuttings. If that could be limited to say 5 - 6" that would help; 4) Is somebody going to send some Pre-Round Robin "Warm Weather" before we all get "hot & bothered" :lol:
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

It occurred to me that when I mentioned the point where it becomes more cost effective to send it FedEx instead of USPS (or using a flat rate box) I didn't take into account how you buy the postage. If you buy postage online through Paypal (and maybe their own website) the USPS gives you a significant discount. So if you stand in line to send it at the post office the old fashioned way it will cost you more. Unfortunately the only way you can ship first class (instead of Priority) is by standing in line or by using Paypal, but Paypal requires an invoice that you send and someone else pays.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
tjlavelle

Post by tjlavelle »

Ship plants bare root. I managed to bring 80 medium sized cacti and succulents in a checked bag on an airplane in one box without going over the weight limit. Seeing as succulents/cacti are tough, the only damage sustained was from the golden barrel stabbing holes in the leaves of one of the agave.
onesickfreak

Post by onesickfreak »

possibly all those involved could give their shipping info to a moderator before it starts... there where a few moments at the end where the real world and lack of communication had some of us holding that box for a minute...
the devil made me do it... it was so much fun
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

onesickfreak wrote:possibly all those involved could give their shipping info to a moderator before it starts... there where a few moments at the end where the real world and lack of communication had some of us holding that box for a minute...
I think this is a really good idea.
When the box is sent, a note can just be sent to the person receiving to be sure they are aware of it being on its way, but this way, they don't have to wait for a response.

However, I also think we should establish guidelines for turn-around. Like, within a week of receipt you are expected to ship them to the next person on the list.

That would hopefully keep things moving.

Cheers,
Tristan
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Tristan - I'd even shorten turn around to 3 or 4 days. It doesn't take more than an hour for "Christmas Morning". You can sit on your chosen loot as long as you want, just add your plants & ship the rest of the plants on. Some plants might not be chosen from the beginning & conceiveably they would be in "shipping" mode for a month or more. :-k