Need Pereskiopsis

Post requests and offers of plants you would like to trade. -Read Rules First!
coltonschultz

Need Pereskiopsis

Post by coltonschultz »

Hello all,
I'm looking for some Pereskiopsis cuttings(even 1 would be fine) so that I can graft some of my young seedlings. I don't have much to trade, but I could get some opuntia pads fresh out of the wild if anyone wanted some!
Thanks
-Colton
Onzuka

Re: Need Pereskiopsis

Post by Onzuka »

I've plenty, Colton, so if nobody a bit closer to you shouts up, send me a PM and we'll see if we can work out a deal.

Steve
Tony

Post by Tony »

Im slightly closer, Colton.
I can set you up. PM sent.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
lophophorawilliamsii

Post by lophophorawilliamsii »

Pretty close to you- PM sent :)

(Woops, just realized you posted this a couple of weeks ago....)
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

You may have a problem sending plants outside the EU Steve as phytosanitory certificates and virtually unobtainable licences may be needed or US Customs could confiscate them. CITES has pretty well killed off international trade in cacti by amateurs and also most commercial nurseries. We are fortunate in the EU in that we are considered one large internal trading block rather like the states in the USA so we can send to any country within the EU with no problems, but we cannot export or import plants from outside the EU easily without phytosanitory certificates or the appropriate licences.

However seed can be traded fairly easily provided it is not on Appendix 1.

My local post office usually asks me what is in the parcel if it is going abroad and if I say a plants they ask if it is legal to send them?

http://www.fws.gov/permits/faqs/faqc.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For any living in countries outside the EU you may find the import/export regulations to other countries make it virtually impossible to send cactus and other succulents abroad, or import them legally and obtaining licences etc, if you can get them, can be very expensive and cost more than the plants are worth.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

I agree with what you said Dave, and I'm glad I'm not the only one aware of these issues. People in the EU are at a particular disadvantage because the EU has made probably the strictest importation regulations in the world (well, Australia is up there too) for even non-CITES plants. In most of the world the Phytosanitary Certificate requires only an inspection for pests and diseases by agricultural officials just before shipping. The EU has decided the exporter needs to get multiple inspections over the course of three months prior to shipping. I've talked to my local agricultural officials here in the US and I can tell you they are none too enthused to do this, especially for a small scale operation (which nearly every specialty C&S nursery is). They would do it, but the cost would be much too high for it to be worthwhile.

To put a more positive spin on things, while it is a pain to do trades between hobbyists, if you find an overseas nursery set up for exporting (meaning they are willing and able to get permits) and you are willing to pay the extra expense, it is fairly straightforward to import from them. Just make sure that they state that they can get CITES permits if you are dealing with CITES listed plants. But the best rule to go by is to exhaust all your domestic options before looking outside your country (or the EU as the case may be).
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
cgillett5

Post by cgillett5 »

I could use some pereskiopsis also. I also don't have much to trade, but would be willing to pay for shipping plus a little extra. Thanks in Advance.
"What do you mean, I'm obsessed?"
CactusJordi

Post by CactusJordi »

Do you want unrooted cuttings or would you rather like old rooted stems of plants to grow your own offsets? Payment for shipping would be enough.

Jordi
RSCHOLTZ

Post by RSCHOLTZ »

Good day

Does Pereskiopsis make seed?
Where can I get some because I dont think cuttings will get to South Africa alive.
None of the people I know here got any.

Thank you
Rick
CactusJordi

Post by CactusJordi »

Rick,
I'm ready to try several in a yellow bubble envelope. If you are ready to pay the high postage of US $ 6.00.

Jordi
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

With the brutal postal handling machines and "couldn't care less" attitude of some postal workers, I think that the plants would stand a better chance in a sturdy box. I've sent them all over the globe and they've always arrived okay.

Steve
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Saxicola wrote:I agree with what you said Dave, and I'm glad I'm not the only one aware of these issues. People in the EU are at a particular disadvantage because the EU has made probably the strictest importation regulations in the world (well, Australia is up there too) for even non-CITES plants. In most of the world the Phytosanitary Certificate requires only an inspection for pests and diseases by agricultural officials just before shipping. The EU has decided the exporter needs to get multiple inspections over the course of three months prior to shipping. I've talked to my local agricultural officials here in the US and I can tell you they are none too enthused to do this, especially for a small scale operation (which nearly every specialty C&S nursery is). They would do it, but the cost would be much too high for it to be worthwhile.
Really? I've had packages of seeds and bulbs coming in from South Africa with no problems. :lol:
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
Tony

Post by Tony »

I use the bubble envelops for these cuttings, rooted or not, and have had no complaints.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
coltonschultz

Post by coltonschultz »

Besides a few leaves falling off(no big deal) Tony is right. He sent me quite a few cuttings in a bubble mailer and they made it just fine and rooted very readily.