Mailing Packages

Post requests and offers of plants you would like to trade. -Read Rules First!
paulzie32

Mailing Packages

Post by paulzie32 »

I've done my fair share of trading on here and other forums. I've received cactus plants, seedlings and seeds in all kinds of packaging. But many people go overboard when shipping and some don't do enough to protect the plants or seeds. I would like to make a few suggestions and hopefully enough people read this and remember when they need to ship things out.

First, You don't need to go out and buy a brand new box. If you're not selling commercially, then any small box will do. I recently received a small 1x.5" seedling/offset in a $2.19 USPS Mailing Carton that measures 5.75"x5.25"x1.25". They then paid $2.96 to ship it. While the plant got here in Great condition, I know that many trade plants because things are tight.

For small plants, You can buy small padded envelopes or "Bubble Mailer" (4"x6") for somewhere around $0.19 to $0.50 a piece, depending on the quantity you buy. Then, use an old Pill bottle, Tic-Tack container, an Altoids tin, K-Cup, or some other rigid object to hold the seedling, offset, cutting or small piece of plant. I've even cut thick cardboard and folded it into a small triangular tube to hold seedlings. If the plant has large spines, Hopefully these containers will prevent them from poking through the envelopes! That could cause a problem and get a lot of postal workers upset. They may even open the package thinking it could have been a hypodermic needle. Packing it this way It should only cost a couple bucks then. Save the $2 for the box.

For larger plants, Again, any box would work. Recycle any box or container you have! The USPS also provides Flat Rate boxes for free! I'm sure you've all seen the commercials - " If it Fits, It ships." I believe they also come with up to $50 of insurance. Again, if the plant has serious spines, you'll want to make sure it's wrapped or in something that will keep the spines from poking through the box. I've received plants with a plastic pot or Styrofoam cups on either end. I've even taken a plastic soda bottle, cut the top off, flattened it a bit and slid an Opuntia pad inside. It kept the spines from poking out and also secured it in the box.
Now, if I didn't have a box, I could have taken brown packing tape and completely covered the Plastic water bottle and just put a label on that! The post office doesn't care about Pretty Packaging. As long as it's not coming out or poking out, they'll deliver it! Heck, They'll deliver a Coconut with a Stamp and address on it!
Seeds can go in the same bubble mailer envelope and with the padding, they'll get there just fine. You can also use a regular envelope but the pack of seeds will need some form of padding. I've used a piece bubble wrap, just a square big enough to go around the seeds works. Just Something to keep them from being Squashed by the Rollers they send the flat envelopes through. I've received seeds on several occasions that were either all or mostly powder. The rollers will allow the envelope through with bubble wrap without popping it. I've also take a piece of Foil and crumpled it to make lots of ridges, then loosley wrapped it around the seeds and they seem to have arrived ok. Thick or fluffy paper towel or toilet paper may even work... although I've never used just a little.
Just remember to make sure the seeds are in a closed and secure baggie or packet so they don't fall out of the envelope if it gets a small tear.
Trading and sharing plants is supposed to be not only fun, but economical! If it costs too much, you'll be upset. If your plants or seeds get there damaged or dead, you'll be even more upset.
Last edited by paulzie32 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image I wasn't raised a Cactolic but converted to Cactolicism later in life ImageImage
sundanz

Re: Mailing Packages

Post by sundanz »

Good points to remember!! Thank you for posting this!! I never thought about the rollers..... Will from now on!!

Karin
Life's a Cactus in the Great State of Texas!!!
martenfisher

Post by martenfisher »

I use flat rate boxes most of the time. They get there much faster and I like speed. I also like having empty space in the box because it gives me room to throw a couple extras in there for value.
paulzie32

Post by paulzie32 »

An update... I mailed out two packages, internationally and both were in White 4x7 bubble mailers and the post office told me, As long as the contents of the envelope do not increase it's thickness, it will only be $1.10 to almost anywhere in the world. In other words, it has to fit through their little quarter inch slot checker. As long as it does, it's good to go. Took me quite some time to find the least expensive way to ship this kind of stuff.
BubblePolyMailers.jpg
BubblePolyMailers.jpg (5.06 KiB) Viewed 3099 times
Image I wasn't raised a Cactolic but converted to Cactolicism later in life ImageImage
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

paulzie32 wrote: In other words, it has to fit through their little quarter inch slot checker. As long as it does, it's good to go.
Yes. But... also keep mind of the weight.
For me sending an envelope around the world would cost me about 1 euro (little over 1 dollar). But the weight has to be below 20 grams. For 20 to 50 grams the postage would double, compared to the <20 grams charge. If you include some (little) plants, you can reach 20 grams very easily.

For sending seeds, this weight limit is not a problem. But I usually put the seeds in a match box, and stick that into the envelop (padded if it goes internationally, or unpadded when it stays within the border). The match box usually adds a few unwanted grams to the total weight, though.
paulzie32

Post by paulzie32 »

Oh, I forgot to mention it was seeds sent and that it was 4oz. or 113.4 grams. Bit it would still need to be no more than 0.25 inches (or .635cm) thick.

If I had easy acces to match stick boxes, I'd use them for seedlings too. I usually use tic-tac boxes as I always seem to have one around.

Oh... And this is all From the USA, out. I'm not familiar with EU post. So thanks for that
onesickfreak

Post by onesickfreak »

a little more on this, ive always been told it has to be a plain brown box.... LIES. as long as there is no previous postage markings or addresses on it it will pass... i just sent two packages using a old box of light bulbs and a package of brownie mix. all i did was put some crappy hand made address labels and tape them up... shipped fine
the devil made me do it... it was so much fun
paulzie32

Post by paulzie32 »

LOL! Post office will ship a coconut with an address and a stamp on it
mjazzguitar

Post by mjazzguitar »

I'm curious- suppose I wanted to clip back the spines so the plant would ship better- would the spines grow back or not?
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

No, they won't. I think spines only grow when they first come out of the growing point.
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.