The ROUND ROBIN BOX IN IN THE MAIL!!

Post requests and offers of plants you would like to trade. -Read Rules First!
apfire

The ROUND ROBIN BOX IN IN THE MAIL!!

Post by apfire »

I just dropped the Round Robin box off at the Post office. It is on it's way to John C. I placed some epi cuttings, a parodia, some small mams, T Pachanoi, terscheckii, Consolea rubescens, and some other things. Have fun! There is still time to join.
I am just looking for the defining statement to put here. Follow this link to see my other cacti.
http://s290.photobucket.com/user/apfire ... cti%202013, 2014 http://s290.photobucket.com/user/apfire ... New%20Year
John C

Re: The ROUND ROBIN BOX IN IN THE MAIL!!

Post by John C »

I want to let everyone know that I received the box today. :shock: WOW! That is a ton of plants! Took me forever to go through it! Now the hard part will be deciding what to keep and what to replace those plants with! :-k

I am about to send cefalophone a pm for an address. After I receive the address and I decide which plants to take, I will ship it. I will be sure to say when it is shipped on this thread.
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
onesickfreak

Post by onesickfreak »

i was wondering... is this purely cacti or are succulents allowed/included?
the devil made me do it... it was so much fun
apfire

Post by apfire »

Succulents are allowed.
I am just looking for the defining statement to put here. Follow this link to see my other cacti.
http://s290.photobucket.com/user/apfire ... cti%202013, 2014 http://s290.photobucket.com/user/apfire ... New%20Year
John C

Post by John C »

Update! I have not heard from cefalophone, so I contacted the next in line (minime). I finally shipped the box this afternoon. It should arrive on Friday, so we shall see. If I, or anyone hears from cefalophone, maybe we can get them in later on, but I didn't want the box to sit in my garage for too long.

I chose 4 great plants from Apfires huge selection. I replaced them with 5 (7 if you count cuttings in one of the packages).

I'll get some photos and post them here at some point.

Thanks for the plants and fun Apfire! Now on to the next person! 8)
"Where the West begins"
cefalophone

Post by cefalophone »

Just replied to John C a short while ago. I was having trouble with my internet connection but now all is fine. Sorry to have delayed you guys. If I got back to late I will wait my turn in the back of the line.
John C

Post by John C »

I just wanted to give a little bit of history to go with the Agave offset I included in the box because I think some of you may find it interesting.

The agave I put in the round robin box is Agave parryi var. huachucensis. The original plant in California can be seen in the follow two links:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11415" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11416&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chris (birdguy34) entered one of the photos in photo contest number 33 (Year 2009). Only a year earlier did I find this great forum. I was blown away by the beauty of his Agave. As can be seen in the discussion thread I commented on its stunning beauty. I promptly received a private message from him offering to give me an offset. I, naturally, was very excited and was very gracious for his generosity. A few days later I received a package - inside was an offset that fit perfectly in a one gallon pot. Within six months, it was with great sadness, I learned that Chris had passed away. I had hardly known him through this forum, but he was generous enough to send me plants. I will be forever thankful for his kind gift and the short time that I had to become casually acquainted with him on this forum. I gave that little agave the best care I could. I was not sure of its cold hardiness so I never planted it in the ground, but rather grew it in a pot. (I now realize that it is fully cold hardy - however I have continued to grow it in a pot) Now, after 4 years, it is producing offsets regularly, and I felt the desire to share it with someone else on this forum. I wanted to share this bit of information (even though I'm sure most of you probably weren't interested) so that whoever might take the agave from the round robin box knows its history. Hopefully it will grow well for whoever might select it, and one day you can share its offsets and history with fellow forum members as well. :)
"Where the West begins"
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Those histories are useful -- @ least to me, John -- because it reminds me of the total interconnectness we have with the planet. And even when we're "dead" -- we're NOT! :D The more I swap out with people across the far reaches of the US -- & sometimes across our "borders" :wink: (to places I'll never visit in my remaining years), the deeper that felt connection.
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
apfire

Post by apfire »

That was a very touching Post. I liked the history.
John C

Post by John C »

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the history. Hopefully someone can enjoy the plant as much as I have!
"Where the West begins"
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Definitely loved the history of that plant! And, I have a sneaking suspicion it will bring as much joy to the recipient as it did to the donor! :wink:
Tony

Post by Tony »

I agree with everyone John. Thanks for sharing the story and the plant! :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Wanted to let everyone know I received the box today. It's huge!
Lots of plants and lots of goodies (unfortunately, with a bunch of unidentified/unlabeled ones too...anathema for this Virgo :wink: )...with several really large ones (so, for those asking about postage costs, it was $27 to get to me by Priority Mail). I'm pretty sure it will weigh less when I send it out (taking a couple of the larger ones, and all of the ones I'm adding in are smaller).

I think the next time we should establish some guidelines for what to include in the box to give participants a better idea of what to expect cost-wise for postage. Just a thought.

I'll pick some out and add mine in tonight and get it back in the mail no later than Monday. I'll post a note when I've mailed it.

Next it will go to cefalophone to get us back on track/in order (already got the address!).

Decisions, decisions.... :D
Cheers,
Tristan
John C

Post by John C »

Glad you got it. It was only going to be about $20 to ship regular mail, but I wanted it to get there quickly for you so I went with priority. It was pretty high, but I got some nice plants out of it, so I was fine with it.
"Where the West begins"
apfire

Post by apfire »

I have to admit that I try to label everything, but sometimes it is about the plant and not the name of the plant. I also figure I could post a picture and Have some of the experts on this forum ID them for me. Have fun. I did not consider the cost of postage. The USPS does calculate weight and distance for cost....So maybe we could have arranged the order by location. Size would prohibit some nice larger species from being included in the Round Robin. We have till next year to hash things out for the next one.