The ROUND ROBIN BOX IN IN THE MAIL!!

Post requests and offers of plants you would like to trade. -Read Rules First!
apfire

Re: The ROUND ROBIN BOX IN IN THE MAIL!!

Post by apfire »

I received the box yesterday. Opening it was fun. There was sooo much cool stuff that I did not own. I enjoyed this years Round Robin immensely. If you have any ideas on how to improve next year's let me know. I would like to do this every year and have as many participants as possible. I had to laugh when I found a plant that I put into the box still there. Poor Harrisia Jusburtii :D Hope to hear from every one again.

Apfire
I am just looking for the defining statement to put here. Follow this link to see my other cacti.
http://s290.photobucket.com/user/apfire ... cti%202013, 2014 http://s290.photobucket.com/user/apfire ... New%20Year
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

There can't have been any grafters on the circulation list, or they already have adequate stocks of H. jusbertii. I'm always short of this stock, it can't be multiplied at anywhere near the same speed as can Pereskiopsis.

Steve
paulzie32

Post by paulzie32 »

My Pereskiopsis grows like a weed and like a weed is all over the place! Every little piece I pinch off, regrows where ever it falls. Even "leaves" root and grow! My H. jusbertii seems to grow a lot slower. Maybe If I gave it more water. Can it take more? I keep it like all my other cactus... fairly dry
Image I wasn't raised a Cactolic but converted to Cactolicism later in life ImageImage
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

paulzie32 wrote:My H. jusbertii seems to grow a lot slower. Maybe If I gave it more water. Can it take more? I keep it like all my other cactus... fairly dry
I keep mine far wetter than I keep "normal" cacti. It's not uncommon to find mine standing in water for days at a time and they come to no harm, in summer that is. It's mid October now and mine are still wet and growing. That, of course, is the reason for using them as a stock in a cooler country, they are tolerant of our winter and damper conditions. Mine even survived, in an unheated greenhouse, our extreme winter of 2010/2011 and there were lots of cacti that didn't.
Steve
paulzie32

Post by paulzie32 »

Great to know as I HATE getting goodbyes in my fingers every time I use or even tough Pereskiopsis! And H jusbertii can support more weight. I won't have to regraft or degraft.
Thanks!
Off to go water ;-)
Image I wasn't raised a Cactolic but converted to Cactolicism later in life ImageImage
Tony

Post by Tony »

Thanks Apfire! It was a hoot opening and sifting through everything.
Funny you got that harrisia back. :P
My only suggestion would be to harden off cuttings (at least a few days to a week?) before sealing them in the box.
There were a few things that were rotting by the time they got to me, and one more at least by the time the box got to Doc who was right after me.
Cant wait to do it again. :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
hoseslinger

Post by hoseslinger »

WHOO HOO!!! :D

See you next year!
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Thats awsome you all had fun and got such great plants, i wish i could have stayed in line on this but due to money issues and health problems and everything else going on i had to step out very sorry :(
I have sooooooooooooo many plants i could have put in the box..

Hopeful things will be better for us next yr and i can get in on it then.

Right now im having a very difficult time just getting around i have to use a wheeled walker everyday, is VERY painful for me. :(
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Sorry to hear that 'Cuda! Have always enjoyed your "shares". Been there, down that (lots of titanium in hips now!), but the cacti were there thru it all -- even when it hurt to work with them. Hopefully you can get the issues taken care of, & rejoin some level of "normal" ambulation! And join the next "Round Robin" -- it was amazing :D
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
John C

Post by John C »

*Barracuda_52* wrote:Thats awsome you all had fun and got such great plants, i wish i could have stayed in line on this but due to money issues and health problems and everything else going on i had to step out very sorry :(
I have sooooooooooooo many plants i could have put in the box..

Hopeful things will be better for us next yr and i can get in on it then.

Right now im having a very difficult time just getting around i have to use a wheeled walker everyday, is VERY painful for me. :(
It's good to hear from you Tracey! I'm sorry to hear about your health issues and that you couldn't participate in the round robin. We would have loved to have had you be a part of it as well. Hopefully next year everything will be getting back on track for you guys and you can participate then. I haven't been on much recently, but I miss chatting with you. Hope everything gets better soon!
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
onesickfreak

Post by onesickfreak »

was fun, had a hard time deciding which ones to take, what to put back myself

but now i have a silly question... so i grabbed the prickly pear that said cows tongue. i was wondering if its an o. ficcus indica or a linguiformis...
i think it said indica on the label, but i really dont remember...

so, if i grabbed your plant, here's hoping you read this ;-}
the devil made me do it... it was so much fun
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Freak - wasn't mine, but my 1st reaction when I saw it was linguiformis!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
Spotcold2

Post by Spotcold2 »

This sounds fun.. R u guys just continuously shipping cacti and succulents around? Can I join in? I have some seeds to trade and I have an aloe pup, with more to come!
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Over for 2013 -- overwise we'd all be getting green spiney icecubes! It'll start getting organized early Summer, & shipping will go sometime mid-Summer so if anything outdoor-type can get established for Winter. Do your homework, so when it gets going, you'll have some idea of what would be appropriate for you & how to care for it. :-k
Spotcold2

Post by Spotcold2 »

Ok will do!