free Opuntia humifusa

Post requests and offers of plants you would like to trade. -Read Rules First!
onesickfreak

free Opuntia humifusa

Post by onesickfreak »

i saved a few pads of one that was gonna be bulldozed for some houses... getting to big for their pots, so if anyone wants a pad or three...
these plants can get huge if you let them. beautiful flowers, fruits i (i hear) are delicious... very cold hardy plants.
the devil made me do it... it was so much fun
nbcrty

Re: free Opuntia humifusa

Post by nbcrty »

:o
Spotcold2

Post by Spotcold2 »

Wow! Thats horrible! It's a good thing you saved some! Could u please send me some? I've always wanted a prickly pear cactus, but this sounds really cool too!!!
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

They are also a good grafting stock for colder areas. Sometimes referred to as O. compressa.

Steve
Spotcold2

Post by Spotcold2 »

Hmm I never tried grafting, but it would be a cool experiment! Do u have any? I can trade pincushion cacti seeds and amaryllis seeds and soon I should have some aloe pups!
cgillett5

Post by cgillett5 »

I was wondering if you had any more pads? I don't have much to trade. I have a few 2 year old unknown seedlings I started from a mixed packet of seeds. there is also a few agave pups "crème brulle" is what the nursery tag said. If you aren't interested in those, I would be willing to trade in currency. Please let me know.
"What do you mean, I'm obsessed?"
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

cgillette5 - i have several humifusa pads that I stuck in "soil" for the Winter. We could certainly swap for the Agave pups. Still need to be Z6 cold-hardy tho. If they're not, I'll send what you want for postage. BTW, Fruit body raw (uncleaned) "jelly" is quite sweet & sticky, but seed:jelly ratio is very high, so unless you have some "Super" seed extractor & all lot of FB's, definitely not worth the effort (for me) :roll:
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
cgillett5

Post by cgillett5 »

My pups are only cold hardy to 25-30 degrees F. Not sure how cold zone 6 is. I'm a ways north of you, zone 4. I keep most of my collection indoors. If you just want me to send postage, let me know where to send it and how much via pm and I'll get it off to you soon.
"What do you mean, I'm obsessed?"