CactiGuide.comcactus forum
cactus home cactus identification cactus tech care for your cactus learn more about cactus
cactus nomenclature where cactus grow cactus forum cacti pests and diseases why I grow cactus

Succulent of the month

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.

Moderators: hob, templegatejohn

Postby daiv » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:07 pm

Thanks again John! -I learn more about other non-cactus plants this way... :wink:
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
daiv
Site Admin

Postby GeneS » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:30 pm

Thanks John,

P. namaquanum is one of my favorites. I've grown them for years and have several mature blooming specimens that produce lots of seed each year.

Here in southern california, they bloom from late Jan through Mar or sometimes April if it stays cool. I have three blooming right now.

Here is a shot from last Apr. This one is near exhausted.

GeneS
GeneS

Postby ihc6480 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:35 am

Great choice John. A unique looking plant to say the least.

GeneS,

All I can say about yours is WOW :shock: I'm amazed at the multitude of flowers. A beauty indeed.
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
ihc6480

Postby templegatejohn » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:27 am

That is a wonderful plant Gene and is perfect for showing the forum members the flowers.

John
templegatejohn

Postby peterb » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:31 pm

Hi- The day before this wonderful post went up, I had reread the Pachypodium special issue from the CSSA Journal, July-August 1996, Vol. 68 #4. There's a wealth of excellent cultivation info in there, sometimes a rarity for the CSSA journal.

The healthiest and most compactly grown, robust Pachypodiums I ever bought were from Highland Succulents. Arid Lands has great plants as well but they seemed a bit more leggy, sprawling and less shaped than the Highland Succulent ones. At Highland, the prices can be higher, but I like the shipping and the quality.

peterb
peterb

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:07 am

Great plant for this month John. That's a nice plant you got there Gene. Love the flowers.

Mark
Mark

Postby GeneS » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:00 pm

I knew I had an image to complete this but couldn't locate until now.

Here is end result ... fruit on P. nanaquanum

Enjoy, GeneS
GeneS

Postby templegatejohn » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:44 pm

This month's plant of the month is up there a little early, but I hope that you like it. Anacampseros are not my favourite succulents (sorry Anacampseros lovers) but I do like this one, I hope that you do too.

John
templegatejohn

Postby templegatejohn » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:29 am

Hi all, I hope that you like this offering as much as I do. The Haworthia family is one of the most diverse in form and this plant shows that to perfection. As I have only recently come out of hospital I put this and Cactus of the Month together fairly quickly, but I am fairly confident that everything is OK with it. If you think otherwise please let me know.

Take care
John
templegatejohn

Postby hablu » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:58 am

I love them for sure John. This one is really a nice one. But where to buy it? Never see them over here. They are not very popular in Dutch gardencenters. Harry
hablu

Postby ColdCactus » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:45 pm

Very nice choice, always love to see a haworthia up there.
-Eli-
ColdCactus

Postby Buck Hemenway » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:30 pm

John,

Very nice, as usual. These truncate haworthias are very special. We found nice patches of H. truncata near Oudtshoorn, but did not notice if this species was present. So many plants that you could not walk without stepping on some.

I hope that you're feeling well and are recovering fast.
Buck Hemenway
Buck Hemenway

Postby iann » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:03 pm

Looks like nobody else likes Anacampseros either? I have the regular green A. rufescens, more by accident than anything else. I do like the miniature caudiciform species though. The A. rufescens is grown from seed which came to me as A. comptonii.

I like the truncate Haworthias too. This one is very different from A. truncata but they are definitely both trying to do the same thing :)
--ian
iann

Postby hablu » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:43 pm

Hello Ian, A week ago I started with Anacampseros.
A. kurtzlii; A. filamentosa; Aretusa lanuginosa; A albiflora. And Avonia ruschii; A. albissima; A herreana; A. recurvata. Nothing to see yet. I hardly know what their looks are anyway. Just was curious if I could succeed. Is there a good site to look at. Harry
hablu

Postby templegatejohn » Mon May 21, 2007 1:01 pm

Hi all, Succulent of the month is up on the forum and I hope you like it. There is not really much to dislike about this it all comes down to whether you have room for a hanging basket or not. If the photograph is not up to the usual standard I apologise in advance.

Cheers,
John
templegatejohn

PreviousNext

Return to General-Succulents