stapelia, orbea, huernia

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
cactusplantqueen

stapelia, orbea, huernia

Post by cactusplantqueen »

whats the difference? i just bought a huernia hystrix and am keen to expand my collection, i just want to know more about huernia orbia and stapelia, i would love to buy every type but finding space at my place is like trying not to buy plants which i stupid cause i cant do both, thanks in advance
Tony

Post by Tony »

Check out Martins site! 8) Stapeliads
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

CPQ,

You can add caralluma, hoodia and several others to that list. They are all connected by their unusual flowers that are pollenated by flies. This is an extremely interesting plant group. Martin is in the process of producing a book on them and his web site gives fabulous insights into these unusual plants.
Buck Hemenway
cactusplantqueen

Post by cactusplantqueen »

thanks for the extra plants to add to the list, are there any more plants like this? i dont have a favourite group and find all very interesting (i've just ordered 2 stapeliads) i have taken 2 cuttings from my heurnia hystrix and split a part with roots attached so at the mo i have 2 plants and soon 6 (2 bought and 2 cuttings) i just think theyre fascinating! Do you think in my climate they would be ok out outside in summer? i'm planning on displaying all my cacti and succulents somewhere in my garden and would love to dedicate a place just for these plants alone. i'm going to go on a plant hunt, searching on online plant shops, to see what else i can get!
rtb1980

Re:

Post by rtb1980 »

Tony wrote:Check out Martins site! 8) Stapeliads
GREAT share, thank you so much. I've found myself in the same boat as the OP, wanting to know more about these strange plants.

For instance, this may be a dumb question, but can you cross a Stapelia with a Huernia?

Thanks!
:arrow: Cactus Videos - Please Subscribe :)
williamsii823

Re: stapelia, orbea, huernia

Post by williamsii823 »

Stapeliads are my favorite also! Stapelias, Orbeas, Huernias, Hoodias, on and on....
A fascinating group. That link to Martins site is a great place to visit! I recommend bookmarking it for future reference.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

....aren't those gorgeos? Never seen flowers like theirs before.
Mine where half ill from last year, we were renovating flat + house & I couldn't take care of them as necessary. Now on the balcony they start to regrow: caralluma, orbea, huernia. I am so happy.
Only the stapeliads are still standing on the brink, don't know which way they are goning. I have may stap.leendertziae since 1986! So I would be really, really sorry to loose it. If anybody has a cutling from me and can help me? Or has cutlings?
Nachtkrabb
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
Wilk

Post by Wilk »

I have been buying a few of these genera over the last few months and here are a few of them. Unfortunately I only have a north facing windowsill available which I am hoping will just about give enough light to get them through the winter.
I don't know of many people who grow them. Is it the smell puts people off or are they just hard to get hold of?
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

I don't grow them anymore. Too much risk ofa risk for mealy bugs for me.

The pot front left, is that a Tavaresia?
Wilk

Post by Wilk »

There's the dilemma! Ideally I would like to put them in the greenhouse in the summer months but I will need to get the mealy bug population under control. If I leave them inside the house I will have to find a south facing window but I will be really popular if they flower!

Well spotted. Tavaresia Barklyi. I have already given it lower temperatures than it would prefer but it's just about surviving since coming indoors.
Wilk

Post by Wilk »

Stapelia grandiflora

Wilk

Post by Wilk »

The other half including a couple of Huernias and a Hoodia:

kuni1234567

Post by kuni1234567 »

I grow Pseudolithos outside under a covered patio and leave them outside in the winter time. The lowest temperature is around 45F or higher and the plants still survive.