Do my Frithia seedlings look okay?

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Mads5

Do my Frithia seedlings look okay?

Post by Mads5 »

I sowed some Frithia pulchra 3 months ago (July) along with some Echeveria and cacti. At the time I didn't realize that Frithia is a mesemb.

It's in succulent mix watered from the bottom and kept in a baggie on a southern-facing windowsill with an overhang (not much direct light). They germinated fairly quickly but have not shown any noticeable growth for the past month or so. I'm fairly new to this and would love some feedback.

https://imgur.com/h3OUe9S

How do they look?
greenknight

Re: Do my Frithia seedlings look okay?

Post by greenknight »

Mesembs should not still be in a baggie. Lithops can stay bagged for a few months, but others should be taken out once they germinate - unlike cacti, they don't like 100% humidity.They don't look too bad, but could use more light - getting them out if the baggie will help with that, too.
Spence :mrgreen:
Mads5

Post by Mads5 »

greenknight wrote:Mesembs should not still be in a baggie. Lithops can stay bagged for a few months, but others should be taken out once they germinate - unlike cacti, they don't like 100% humidity.They don't look too bad, but could use more light - getting them out if the baggie will help with that, too.
Thank you for your reply! I'm thinking of doing a grow light setup for the winter. I've heard others recommend putting them a foot underneath a 2800 lumen fluorescent tube. Does that sound appropriate for these guys?

I didn't realize that mesemb seedlings are different from cacti in that way. What about Echeveria? Mine are also nearing 3 months and still bagged.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

I'd be a bit more relaxed about baggies for mesembs than greenknight. A few weeks after germaination, or maybe a month or 2 in baggies may be fine, but they certainely seem happier out of baggies earlier than most cacti.
I've only tried Echeveria from seed once, they are tiny to start with, and were happy sealed up for a few months, I think.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti