Watering Euphorbia Grandicornis

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
skorva

Watering Euphorbia Grandicornis

Post by skorva »

Hello,

I have a question about watering my Euphorbia Grandicornis seedlings and I can't seem to find an answer online.
I have planted 90 seeds (yes, I know I'm crazy... the parent plant was very fertile and I didn't want them to go to waste!)
I have a bunch of little seedlings now and I know that this plant prefers the soil to dry out between waterings. However, I also know that seedlings should be kept moist... so... when do I lay off the watering?
Attached is a photo of a seedling that started growing in my rocket (arugula) garden (due to the explosive nature of the plant's seed-spreading)... not sure when I can remove it as obviously the rocket has very different water needs, but if I move it too soon it might die. :?
The euphorbia seedling is on the left, in my rocket garden!
The euphorbia seedling is on the left, in my rocket garden!
cactus and rocket.JPG (215.47 KiB) Viewed 1359 times
This is the parent plant!
This is the parent plant!
parent plant.JPG (161.05 KiB) Viewed 1359 times
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Sabrina
mmcavall

Re: Watering Euphorbia Grandicornis

Post by mmcavall »

I would keep the pots opened (no bags or caps) and spray water ~every day (depending on your climate), until true "leaves" appear, and then you can gradually increase the interval between waterings, leting the soil dry a little.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

Unless you are desperate for all 90 seedlings to make it to adulthood, I'd just leave the one in the rocket where it is. It may well thrive for it's first few months anyway, if not, well not to worry.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
skorva

Post by skorva »

Cool, thank you! Will do. :-)