Winter growing species

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
ElieEstephane

Winter growing species

Post by ElieEstephane »

It's my understanding that some species are winter growers. I don't understand how that translates for me. No water in the hot summer and water during the cold not so sunny winter? It seems kind of odd to me.
Can someone please explain?
Thank you!
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Aiko

Re: Winter growing species

Post by Aiko »

Mostly watering in spring and autumn. A little bit in winter, none at all (or just a tiny bit for small plants / seedlings) in summer. That is how I will do things. But I am sure you have different growing conditions than most of us, without (for plants) noticebly differences in seasons?
AnalogDog

Post by AnalogDog »

I understand the divisions are more the end of April and the start of October. Me? I go the start of October, but coming out I wait for the end of the rain.
teo

Post by teo »

Also (I think) winter growers are only found on latitudes not too far from the equator where the summer climate is too hot and dry but winter still has lots of daylight. It would be ridiculous near the polar circle where winter is totally dark :-)
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Aiko wrote:Mostly watering in spring and autumn. A little bit in winter, none at all (or just a tiny bit for small plants / seedlings) in summer. That is how I will do things. But I am sure you have different growing conditions than most of us, without (for plants) noticebly differences in seasons?
Thanks aiko thats really helpful!
Growing conditions are quite temperate with noticible changes in seasons. Summers are hot and dry (86 to 95 degrees F 30 to 35 C) and winter are cold (14 to 17 degrees C) and quite wet but no frosts other than the exception of rare polar originated storms. However in the recent few years precipitations seem to be declining.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

AnalogDog wrote:I understand the divisions are more the end of April and the start of October. Me? I go the start of October, but coming out I wait for the end of the rain.
And thats how im gonna do it. Thanks!
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

teo wrote:Also (I think) winter growers are only found on latitudes not too far from the equator where the summer climate is too hot and dry but winter still has lots of daylight. It would be ridiculous near the polar circle where winter is totally dark :-)
Our winters are quite sunny sometimes but the problem is with the rain. It gets quite rainy sometimes and hail may occur a few times.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Most "winter growers" are really opportunistic growers - they grow when it's not too hot or too cold. In their native climate, that's the winter - in other climates, they may grow at other times.
Spence :mrgreen:
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Here in Brazil our winter is dry, summer is wet. I'm growing Mesembs and until now I did not noticed any diferences. All my Mesembs grew considerably this winter, even the "summer growers". Let's see whether they will grow more or less in summer than in winter. The only plant that showed a clear pattern was Monilaria (it grows only during winter). In brief: the classification in summer or winter growers do not work very well here, so I'm giving up pay attention to that.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Great! Thanks everyone!
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

I think the "winter grower" description can be very unhelpful, if given with no other information.
greenknight wrote:Most "winter growers" are really opportunistic growers - they grow when it's not too hot or too cold. In their native climate, that's the winter - in other climates, they may grow at other times.
Exactly - also they grow when there is rainfall. Many plants may be
"winter" growers (or late autumn to spring growers) in mediterranean climates (with cool, damp winters, and hot dry summers), but summer growers in cooler climates. Aeoniums spring to mind, amongs others - "winter" growers in the south of Spain, but they adapt well as summer growers in the UK.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

esp_imaging wrote:I think the "winter grower" description can be very unhelpful, if given with no other information.
greenknight wrote:Most "winter growers" are really opportunistic growers - they grow when it's not too hot or too cold. In their native climate, that's the winter - in other climates, they may grow at other times.
Exactly - also they grow when there is rainfall. Many plants may be
"winter" growers (or late autumn to spring growers) in mediterranean climates (with cool, damp winters, and hot dry summers), but summer growers in cooler climates. Aeoniums spring to mind, amongs others - "winter" growers in the south of Spain, but they adapt well as summer growers in the UK.
Thanks!
I noticed my aeomiums grow in autumn and spimg and tend to lose most of their leaves in summer so i moved some of them to my summer house which is in a cool elevated mountain region and they're growing like mad.
I guess it's all about the climate.
Spikylover

Post by Spikylover »

I think the best terminology is temperate weather growing species but that does not have a ring to it :D

Rachel
Rachel
Gardening with my mother and father in war ridden Syria