Conophytums ?

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
keith

Conophytums ?

Post by keith »

I bought a few of these online, a 10 different not labeled deal just to try them out, never grew these before. Some went dormant over the summer some did't I don't know why. Now during a heat wave caused by tropical storm Lydia the couple of them that went dormant are starting to grow again.

maybe they will flower next ?
Attachments
stayed green
stayed green
Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg (107.02 KiB) Viewed 2944 times
dried up for summer
dried up for summer
Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg (100.38 KiB) Viewed 2944 times
Stayed green
Stayed green
Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg (101.83 KiB) Viewed 2944 times
dried up for summer
dried up for summer
Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg (121.01 KiB) Viewed 2944 times
keith

Re: Conophytums ?

Post by keith »

I think the bright green one is a Ophthalmophyllum , Grew different over the summer by not going totally dormant and looking like dried up paper.
keith

Post by keith »

I think the third one down from the top is a Ophthalmophyllum friedrichiae. Stayed green during the summer. I didn't really water any of them much during the summer. Unlike cactus. I'm hoping when the cactus go to sleep I can have winter growers to look at, most of were I live is a winter growing climate anyway. Dead brown in the hills now- Fire season approaching.
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

Yes, the top one looks like an Ophtha, not sure about the third one. In my limited experience they need to be left entirely without water through summer, although in SoCal it may be a little different. Mine never skin-over, but shrivel and turn red/purple, which i think is what they're meant to do. Here's how mine looked a few weeks ago:
Attachments
Ophthalmophyllum praesectum 2017 03 small.jpg
Ophthalmophyllum praesectum 2017 03 small.jpg (183.86 KiB) Viewed 2848 times
keith

Post by keith »

Nice flower showed up quick didn't even notice a bud. These plants are smaller than they look on the internet.

Thanks Grimm these plants are new to me just started growing them, hard to find unlike cactus or lithops.
Attachments
conophytum
conophytum
cono.jpg (110.14 KiB) Viewed 2833 times
keith

Post by keith »

flowering conophytums its been about 70F daytime and 50F night time, sunny some days cloudy other days no real rain yet.
Attachments
conophytum
conophytum
img_3196.jpg (76.04 KiB) Viewed 2593 times
conophytum
conophytum
img_3201.jpg (90.99 KiB) Viewed 2593 times
conophytum
conophytum
img_3202.jpg (86.08 KiB) Viewed 2593 times
williamsii823

Post by williamsii823 »

Nice collection of Conos / Ophalmos / whatever. Like the violet color.
kuni1234567

Post by kuni1234567 »

I would send the photos to Steven Hammer and he should be able to identify your plants. I just visited his garden and he has a fantastic collection of mesems. I was impressed by his mesem collection and it reminded me about my first visit to see Loran Whitelock's cycad collection. I really enjoyed talking to Steven about his plants and his understanding about plant culture and identification.
keith

Post by keith »

Craig from C&D sent me this info

On your Cono page, it looks like No. 1 is Cono. longum
No. 2 Conophytum ectypum ssp. brownie
No. 3 C. pubescens
No 4. Conophytum tantillum, maybe helenae

C&D has very nice plants for sale I bought some more conophytums from him . Easy purchase no confusion, excellent healthy plants all identified and packed perfectly.

And I got some conophytum seeds from Aiko for free which germinated excellent unlike some other seeds I tried last year from a worlds biggest seed supplier which germinated poorly.

I have to be careful now or I'll end up with too many conophytums like I've done with cactus in the past. :D
keith

Post by keith »

Conophytum seeds from Aiko . These are devium I'm growing them under plastic, indoors in a south facing window. I also have herrei and pubescens all doing well. So far.
Attachments
C. devium.jpg
C. devium.jpg (145.9 KiB) Viewed 2266 times
keith

Post by keith »

View of my succulent bench under Winter sunshine
Succulent Bench
Succulent Bench
conophytumBench.jpg (130.99 KiB) Viewed 2120 times
Maddiesicky

Post by Maddiesicky »

keith wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:07 am View of my succulent bench under Winter sunshine conophytumBench.jpg
Beautiful!!