stupid Ornithogalum caudatum question

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Brontosaurus

stupid Ornithogalum caudatum question

Post by Brontosaurus »

I want to plant some bulbs of Ornithogalum caudatum but I can't tell which end is up. Do you need to wait for them to grow past the bulb point? There were a few that started to sprout but I couldn't tell if the little sliver that had come out was a root or a stem. Thanks for reading! Let me know if you have advice please.
Aiko

Re: stupid Ornithogalum caudatum question

Post by Aiko »

For bulbs, usually the (somewhat) pointy end goes up, and the less pointy end goes down.
Ron43

Post by Ron43 »

Even if you plant a bulb the wrong way, it will still come up. May take a bit longer, but it will come up.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

If in doubt, place it sideways. Will be less interuptive than an accidental upside down, I think. It will even probably set itself straight without much difficulties, depending on the bulb. Or you can do it after you have given the time to see for yourself which end should go up or down, if you dig it up after a few weeks.
Brontosaurus

Post by Brontosaurus »

Amazing! Thank you all for the information!
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

The bulb of that species grows above ground, so you'll be able to see immediately which end is growing what. Set them halfway into the soil on their sides, reset them on an upright position when you can tell which way that is.

With bulbs that are buried, there's no point in digging them up - they'll grow just as well on their side.
Spence :mrgreen:
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

greenknight wrote:The bulb of that species grows above ground
Does it grow like naturally? Bowiea volubilis grows below soil (at least mine), but you can also grow them above the soil. I would expect this Ornithogalum naturally grows below the soil, but allows itself to be grown above too.