Painted tips

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Brontosaurus

Painted tips

Post by Brontosaurus »

I thought some folks on the board might be interested in this. A company is trying to get us to sell these succulents that they have painted the tips of in eye-catching colors. They claim these are all the rage in Europe. I personally am more interested in what a plant looks like when it's allowed to grow naturally, but I guess some people like this.
Attachments
outputsadg.jpg
outputsadg.jpg (77.17 KiB) Viewed 4505 times
Aiko

Re: Painted tips

Post by Aiko »

Don't believe the claim. The windowsills up here are not filled with these violated plants.
teo

Post by teo »

These are Sansevieria cylindrica (underneath the ugly colors)
Cactus John

Post by Cactus John »

They'll be wallpapering the pots next.
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

Strangely enough, I was in Nottingham about 3 weeks ago and went into the large, city centre shopping arcade. Whilst my wife was inside a shop spending my money, I took a look at some large planter troughs filled with succulents. There were dozens and dozens of these abominations, so landscapers are buying them! They were growing surprisingly well and had obviously been there for some time. Needless to say, all the new growths didn't exhibit the colourful display of their parents.

When S. cylindrical is offered for sale, it's usually as a pot full of straight single stems, much as shown in the photo. Ikea usually has them for sale. Don't be fooled that this is how they grow, they don't. They are a rather unruly plant and under suitable conditions, grow large, quickly. The commercial growers remove the tips of the leaves, root them (paint them) and pot them up similar to what the photo shows. It's only when the rooted tips produce new offshoots that the gullible buyer realises what he/she has bought.

Steve
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Sansevierias are really tough plants, I'm not surprised that they're undeterred by this insult. While this is an abomination, it's not as bad as coloring the spines of cacti - this will be quickly outgrown.
Spence :mrgreen:
Tofterigen

Post by Tofterigen »

For some people, plants are just a kind of interior fittings or design. They just should be stylish and fit with their other decoration.

Poor people!
lemonFresh

Post by lemonFresh »

We were once gifted a lurid purple Haworthia.

It is now much more green than purple, but it still makes me sad every time I see the paint.
"The truth will set you free, but not until it’s done with you.”

Zone 5a
Agaves, Semperviviums, Crassulae, and Aloes
saboten

Post by saboten »

I saw some awful neon-painted aloes somewhere. However, I find it a true testament to the persistent nature of plant life, because despite being painted over, some manage to put out new green growth and carry on. A beautiful survival story!
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

Those people who do this don't only have no respect for the plants, they also have got such a poor taste. Enough with this plague!
"The best fertilizer is the gardener's own shadow"
Chinese proverb
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

This comes to mind :lol:
FB_IMG_1518541031265-760x950.jpg
FB_IMG_1518541031265-760x950.jpg (66.86 KiB) Viewed 3341 times
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Kitsande

Post by Kitsande »

I saw a bunch of these at Home Depot (California) yesterday! I thought they were plastic but it was just the paint chipping off the poor guys.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Germany: Never saw such awful coloring nonsense.
Hope I never will.
Hope nobody will see me if I would see something like this. The result would not be funny.

What I saw, bad enough: The same plant, but grown into braids. That's just perverted but doesn't stop them from photosynthesis.

ElieEstephane, I like your picture! ;-)

N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.