Fresh onions

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Astro

Fresh onions

Post by Astro »

After reading about leaf propagation of Lachenalia and associated hyacinths, I decided to give it a try by cutting off a few leaves close to the bulb, applying rooting powder and sticking them in some moist Turface. 3/4 attempts didn't go anywhere (leaves too old? too warm or too cold?) but the L. aloides v. quadricolor came through. Seven bulbs from a single leaf, all pretty good size (I'd say similar to 1-2yo bulblets) and possible good for flowers even next season.

I started the cutting at the end of January (late in the season I guess). The photo shows the shriveled remains of the leaf still attached, in a 2" pot. The medium is moist because I had just sprayed.

Interesting way to propagate these plants, will try again next year.
L. aloides bulblets
L. aloides bulblets
Lachenalia_aloides_quadricolor_leafprop_20170315_cropped.jpg (131.53 KiB) Viewed 1668 times
rsales3

Re: Fresh onions

Post by rsales3 »

Congratulations. Its always nice to see signs of growth from cuttings. Never heard of Lachenalia aloides quadricolor and looked it up, wow what a nice plant with amazing colored flowers. Now I'll have to find one for my collection.

Cheers
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

rsales3 wrote:Never heard of Lachenalia aloides quadricolor and looked it up, wow what a nice plant with amazing colored flowers. Now I'll have to find one for my collection.
Unfortunately the bulbs I got from Astro, which I tried to pollinate this year, have not developed any seed pods. Otherwise I could offer you some seed. Maybe next year? They are all dormant now, everthing above the ground is now gone.
rsales3

Post by rsales3 »

Thanks Aiko. Next year seems sooooo far away.