Pencil Plant - pruning questions and propagation timing

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Daveinermo

Pencil Plant - pruning questions and propagation timing

Post by Daveinermo »

I rescued this plant when it was almost dead and about 8 inches high 18 months ago from a friends place and well - its grown!

Firstly am aware the sap is toxic and needs to be handled carefully so all good there.

A few questions if someone can help?

1. Its in a pot right now which is a decent size but I see its growing a lot of branches downwards - I assume it's looking for soil so it can dig in and support itself - is this correct?

2. I plan to remove these branches and propagate them - I am wondering if eventually the plant will get to heavy for itself - should I be pruning larger pieces off up the top as well? I currently rent and have built a beautiful garden here (lucky owners!) but don't want to put it in the ground as I wnt to take this with me if/when I move.

3. Once I remove the branches I guess I need to let them heal over for a month or so before I plant them...I have always been a brown thumb till about 3 years ago when I got the gardening bug and now I seem to be able to grow pretty much anything! BUT not a lot of knowledge so WHEN should I plant these cuttings? does it matter when I plant them in mix and start them off after they have healed over at the cut end? Is it better to start them early spring, autumn or does it not matter?

Its Autumn here in Australia so would like to trim this now which would mean I would plant the cuttings late Autumn or winter - should I wait for spring or is can I start the process now in Autumn?

Thanks everyone :)
Attachments
IMG_1915-1.jpg
IMG_1915-1.jpg (248.04 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
greenknight

Re: Pencil Plant - pruning questions and propagation timing

Post by greenknight »

!. That's its normal growth habit, they branch out in all directions. See the gallery here - http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53909/ . No doubt it does have that pot well-filled with roots, though, but many succulents can be grown quite root bound.

2. In habitat these grow into 30 foot/10 meter trees - it can hold up the weight. Prune if you need to keep it in bounds, but it doesn't require pruning otherwise. In Brazil it's used as a hedge, so I guess it can be maintained at a smaller size by pruning.

3. It's very easy to grow from cuttings. I'd think Autumn would be the perfect time, it would let them establish a good root system before the heat of Summer. You don't need to wait a month to plant them, just let the cut heal for a week or two. I have seen it recommended that, with Euphorbia cuttings, you should wash the latex off the cut edge before it dries - not sure if it makes any difference.
Spence :mrgreen:
Daveinermo

Re: Pencil Plant - pruning questions and propagation timing

Post by Daveinermo »

greenknight wrote:!. That's its normal growth habit, they branch out in all directions. See the gallery here - http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53909/ . No doubt it does have that pot well-filled with roots, though, but many succulents can be grown quite root bound.

2. In habitat these grow into 30 foot/10 meter trees - it can hold up the weight. Prune if you need to keep it in bounds, but it doesn't require pruning otherwise. In Brazil it's used as a hedge, so I guess it can be maintained at a smaller size by pruning.

3. It's very easy to grow from cuttings. I'd think Autumn would be the perfect time, it would let them establish a good root system before the heat of Summer. You don't need to wait a month to plant them, just let the cut heal for a week or two. I have seen it recommended that, with Euphorbia cuttings, you should wash the latex off the cut edge before it dries - not sure if it makes any difference.
^Thanks that's fantastic info.

Much appreciated and I see many infant pencil plants in my future!