What to do with this lithops?

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
EArturo

What to do with this lithops?

Post by EArturo »

A friend gave me this Lithops 3 months ago, it was evidently over-watered, so I stopped watering, put it in a sunny position and wait until the old leaves dry out, nothing to worry I though, maybe some months more until it adjusts its growth cycle.
Fast forward today, lo and behold this crazy Lithops pushing another pair of leaves, now it has 3 pairs stacked, and weather isn't hot enough to dry the older leaves as I would expect.
Besides no water and trying to put it in the warmest place as possible, what else could I do to recover its normal growth cycle? Maybe cut the older leaves since it has plenty of water? Or just let time and weather do their jobs and hope for the best?

Aiko

Re: What to do with this lithops?

Post by Aiko »

Let time take care of it. The old leaves will eventually wither away.
If you cut away the old leaves, you cut away the option for the new leaves to reuse the moisture from the old leaves. The new leaves will be much smaller (maybe even not develop well?).

By the way, I don't think it is really the best thing to put the plant "in the warmest place as possible". Don't stretch yourself on heat. A cool place is just as fine, Lithops can take cold (even frost) with ease as long as it is completely dry. Unless you really mean the most sunny place instead of really heat. Sun is good, even when dormant.
EArturo

Re: What to do with this lithops?

Post by EArturo »

Thanks Aiko, I decided to let time take care of it.
1 month forward and the oldest pair of leaves withered away.
The "warmest place" was in my line of tought as: this Lithops was overwatered and stacked, Warmer ----> faster water loss, less water reserve ----> no more stacked Lithops. In the end I just left it with my other Lithops.