Propagation of Frilly Echeverias from the Flower Stem

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Melocactus70

Propagation of Frilly Echeverias from the Flower Stem

Post by Melocactus70 »

I believe it is possible to propagate these Echeverias by taking a bit/small section of the flower stem where there is a small leaf.?

I would be grateful if anybody who has successfully done this if they could outline their method(s)

Many thanks.
iann

Re: Propagation of Frilly Echeverias from the Flower Stem

Post by iann »

You can propagate Echeverias from any leaf. The trick is getting it to root before the leaf dies since they may not be particularly big or particularly succulent.
--ian
Melocactus70

Post by Melocactus70 »

Thank you. Most helpful and much common sense! Do you think they might root better in a propagator with some heat and of course the UV flourescent tube.?
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Melocactus70 wrote:Thank you. Most helpful and much common sense! Do you think they might root better in a propagator with some heat and of course the UV flourescent tube.?
They would do well anywhere. Just not too much heat and barely (and i do mean barely) spray the surface of the soil (not leaves) every few days until roots emerge. Then u can water more.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
emacgee

Post by emacgee »

Yes, you can propagate using these flower stalks. I was actually able to visit Dick Wright's setup this summer and was quite surprised to see him propagating a number of the larger echeveria gibbiflora species by simply rooting the flower stalk in dry soil. Didn't realize I had been missing out by throwing out all those stems!