So frustrating!

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Kamos

So frustrating!

Post by Kamos »

After being outside since spring with no problems, and careful watering this Fall, with several blooms recently, apparently a bird decided to sample a few of my Lithops . It also took a bite out of a Gasteria and a Mamm.gracilis. :x
20161107_153139.jpg
20161107_153139.jpg (54.79 KiB) Viewed 3079 times
20161107_153149.jpg
20161107_153149.jpg (61.05 KiB) Viewed 3079 times
20161107_153158.jpg
20161107_153158.jpg (51.08 KiB) Viewed 3079 times
20161107_153654.jpg
20161107_153654.jpg (44.02 KiB) Viewed 3079 times
Neal
meizzwang

Re: So frustrating!

Post by meizzwang »

Sorry to hear that, and welcome to the club! Squirrels and raccoons are usually the main culprits here in Northern California, followed by Crows. Crows love to dig up lithops, but they're smart and it seems they don't come back once you chase them away consistently. The good news is, once those leaves die off and are replaced by new leaves, it's as though nothing happened, but that can take a while. Raccoons tend to come back night after night....well, that was before the pack of coyotes moved in. Surprisingly, the coyotes ate all of our figs and persimmons. They're even bold enough to walk towards you, I had to be hostile and chase them out. Now they still visit almost every night, but quietly.
iann

Post by iann »

I don't think they can taste so good. They never eat the whole lot.
--ian
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

I can imagine. I ate a bit of a Conophytum once. Even less taste than a cucumber.
Pushrestart

Post by Pushrestart »

Aiko wrote:I can imagine. I ate a bit of a Conophytum once. Even less taste than a cucumber.
Interesting.

Kamos, that is always frustrating. I too struggle with pests- squirrels when plants are out in the summer and fall.v Try to keep them covered with a thin mesh material to keep unwanted visitors away. It seems like most of the damage is on the old leaves which will shed soon anyways, it'll be okay!
Astro

Post by Astro »

I find birds and especially squirrels are less of a nuisance if the plants are on a table instead of on the ground. The plants I have on the ground (mostly SA bulbs now) I cover with some shade cloth, not so much for the sun as to discourage raiders. I haven't seen any raccoons around here, knock on wood.

I have the impression Fall and Winter seasons may be the time birds and squirrels are most active, foraging for food (the squirrels have been aerating the lawn and took a big bite out of one of my largest Massonias).
Kamos

Post by Kamos »

Pushrestart, I was thinking about using some type of netting for the less protected succulents. I was considering using a decoy owl at first , but I don't want to scare away all the birds , especially hummingbird s. :) I'll try to be better prepared next year!
Neal
Pushrestart

Post by Pushrestart »

Kamos- a decoy owl only goes so far, and must be moved constantly as in to fool other animals that it is more than just plastic. 8)
Yes get some bird netting if the only enemy is birds. If you have squirrels you're going to need something like hardware mesh, or a stronger screen protector of sorts.
sundanz

Post by sundanz »

I dont think its birds. They peck and this does not look like pecking. It looks more like grasshoppers. I had the same thing happened to mine and they were in a closed GH. Birds couldnt go in there but grasshoppers managed. I saw them and actually removed one from my plants. They are ferocious eaters and will do quite a bit of damage.
Life's a Cactus in the Great State of Texas!!!
Kamos

Post by Kamos »

That's interesting sundanz, maybe I was to hasty to blame birds. Probably because I've actually seen birds take bites out of a Graptopatalum a couple of years ago.
They're all indoors now for winter . What do you do to protect them from grasshoppers?
Neal
BrandonH

Post by BrandonH »

I betting on it being slugs! i always get slug damage on outside plants and they seem to have a taste for succulents.
Brandon