Haworthia inflorescence. Should I leave it ?

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Mooly

Haworthia inflorescence. Should I leave it ?

Post by Mooly »

I got this plant back around April time when it had a single vertical shoot with a bud at the top. Over the following weeks it has grown and grown and grown. Its still expanding now.

Its actually getting a little unwieldy and so I'm wondering what is the best course of action. Will it simply die off naturally or should I cut it, and if so whereabouts. What are the options ?
Attachments
Haworthia.jpg
Haworthia.jpg (107.61 KiB) Viewed 2122 times
iann

Re: Haworthia inflorescence. Should I leave it ?

Post by iann »

You can remove it if you want. They are quite strongly attached and you might want to just cut it if you're not quite brave. Or wait for the flowers, interesting but not spectacular.
--ian
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

After flowering, they will dry out and you can / should pull it off easily. Sometimes that might take a few weeks to months. If it annoys you it is there but you cannot pull it off, you can at least cut it off with some scissors and only keep a small portion of it.

Funny that the flower is splitting like this. Have not seen that before. Mine are always solitary.
hablu

Post by hablu »

:) want to reach to two windows.
Harry
Mooly

Post by Mooly »

Thanks for the replies folks. Well it is still growing and so I might leave it a bit and see how it progresses. It wont fit through a standard doorway now. If it does come down to removing it then I think I would go with Iann's suggestion of cutting it.

As to the flowers, well its actually been producing those for some weeks now, exactly symmetrical on both sides and yes, they are tiny little things. Just counting up the nodes where the flowers have been and dropped and there are around 40 per side with around 6 per side currently flowered/flowering. Its showing no sign of stopping either.
Kattatonic

Post by Kattatonic »

Mine just shot up it's stock this week. Was surprised to see it this morning. Not nearly as large as yours though.
Kattatonic

Post by Kattatonic »

I'm enjoying watching mine grow over the past week. This is growth on the stock from 10/4- 10.10.
IMG_5755.JPG
IMG_5755.JPG (45.26 KiB) Viewed 2033 times
IMG_5801.JPG
IMG_5801.JPG (44.82 KiB) Viewed 2033 times