Tease me ...tease me...

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
sucti2016

Tease me ...tease me...

Post by sucti2016 »

While waiting for my anacampseros to bloom (not knowing if the process was terminated for some reason), I have found that my Pleiospilos Compactus is swelling up in bloom too. Last night after bringing it in for the night, I suddenly noticed that the petals open one by one -but stopped at the third one and very promptly closed back tightly into the bud. ANOTHER TEASE? Are my succulents teasing me?????????
I also have a Fenestraria which also has a bud which seem to be bursting to bloom -a couple of smaller ones still below the leaves, reaching out. I'm not sure if this is another tease. Gosh, talk about patience!
I know for sure I haven't missed the bloom on the anacampseros because I've been watching it closely. So perplexed with the Pleiospilos Compactus -as I have read that they are evening bloomer. I sure didn't expect it to have a night bloom....but still that PEEK-A-BOO was just such a tease. Now, I cannot find info on when Fenestraria would bloom in the day. I guess I'll just wait "coolly".
What a ride so far. I'm into my third month of 'mothering' succulents.
EAT
SLEEP
DREAM
SUCCULENTS
sucti2016

Re: Tease me ...tease me...

Post by sucti2016 »

Update: Yesterday evening the Pleiospilos bloomed. Today, Fenestraria...and as soon as it closes, the Pleiospilos bloomed again. :wink:
Attachments
OI000269.jpg
OI000269.jpg (60.4 KiB) Viewed 2766 times
iann

Post by iann »

You confused it. They bloom in late afternoon to evening, opening and closing each day for a week or more. They can be stubborn at first but open more easily after a few days practice ;)

Interesting with the Fenestraria. Not a fluke either, because I see at least one more buds. Nothing on mine yet, maybe not enough chilly nights.

Its amazing how closely you can watch Anacampseros and still miss the flower. Hard to be 100% positive without turning a webcam on them, but without sufficient heat the flowers likely never open, and by "sufficient" I mean HOT. They may still set seed though.
--ian
sucti2016

Post by sucti2016 »

Wow. Been so busy. Anyways I came back to make an update. Thanks ever so much for the input as always, Ian. Much appreciated.
Any luck with your Fenestraria yet? After two blooms, (a third one still making its way) the plant look much etiolated. Hum. I don't understand. Then I also found mealy bugs. Lol. Am considering repotting the baby but read somewhere that we should avoid repotting it frequently. However this will be my first time and also to remove old potting soil originally from the store.
iann

Post by iann »

My Fenestrarias are covered in buds, but only one open that I've spotted so far. Not great timing, there is so little sun at this time of year. It is a better show when they bud up in spring.

I haven't had any trouble with potting on. Always interesting to see the roots. Fenestrarias have thick spreading roots quite deep down, then a whole mass of fine roots. If you give them space they'll eventually send up more plants a few inches away.

Here's roots on a young plant:
aurantiaca1.jpg
aurantiaca1.jpg (80.96 KiB) Viewed 2682 times
Here's an old plant, slightly potbound - in fact it was starving:
rhopalophylla1.jpg
rhopalophylla1.jpg (79.29 KiB) Viewed 2682 times
--ian
sucti2016

Post by sucti2016 »

Wow! Thanks so much for sharing. You said the pot bound plant was starving. Sure hard to tell! They look so healthy and adorable!
sucti2016

Post by sucti2016 »

Here's what my anacampseros look like today. Shoot up to 9" and now drying up. Still didn't see the flower. Between the Pleiospilos and Fenestraria, I have taken lots of pictures. Disappointed that they didn't bloom after that peek of pink.
Guess I will repot the lil toes when the third bud blooms.
Attachments
20161022_123626.jpg
20161022_123626.jpg (37.2 KiB) Viewed 2675 times
iann

Post by iann »

The Anacampseros has flowered already. You may have blinked and missed it, or it might not even have opened. They need a good amount of heat or very strong sun to open them up. What you have now is fruit.
--ian
sucti2016

Post by sucti2016 »

Wow. Thanks so much for the info, Ian. It's good to know the phase it's going through. You're a great help. Really appreciate your time.
sucti2016

Post by sucti2016 »

You reckon this baby is etiolated, Ian? I think I can see where it is divided. However, I'm not going to venture into separating them yet. Perhaps I will just wait for a possible offset.
Attachments
20161022_093933.jpg
20161022_093933.jpg (38.94 KiB) Viewed 2638 times
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

That indeed looks very etiolated.
sucti2016

Post by sucti2016 »

Lol. Thanks Aiko. I read some suggests to pot it deeper. Do you know of any alternative solution?