Why did the bud dry up?

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
sucti2016

Why did the bud dry up?

Post by sucti2016 »

Why did the flower of my newly acquired plant dried up over night after a few days being home?
Attachments
Rhombophyllum dolabriforme
Rhombophyllum dolabriforme
20160921_174252.jpg (49.09 KiB) Viewed 2378 times
Kamos

Re: Why did the bud dry up?

Post by Kamos »

Are you sure it hadn't already bloomed before you bought it ? :-k
Neal
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

I agree with Kamos, this had just flowered, so what you see is the dead flower shrivelling up, because it wasn't pollinated so hasn't set seed.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
iann

Post by iann »

I'm not so sure it wasn't pollinated. You might find that dry capsule actually has seeds in it.
--ian
sucti2016

Post by sucti2016 »

No idea if it had already bloom. Simply because it looks green, I thought it's just a bud ready to bloom.
I'll check for seeds, Ian!! Thanks for all the replies.
fabricatorgnu

Post by fabricatorgnu »

looks like dried up flowers!
SoilSifter

Post by SoilSifter »

You might not find any seeds. The picture on the left looks like a developing seed pod. The picture on the right looks like an empty seed pod. Some succulents (including Mesmbs, I think) have explosive seed pods that throw the seeds. They seem to wait for moisture and then explode. I've seen some pop after an increase in humidity and others pop only after being rained on. You might find a few seeds left in the pod that didn't get out if you're lucky.
iann

Post by iann »

Mesemb capsules open when wet (and ripe!), but not explosively. They can take anything from a few seconds to several minutes to open up their segmented lids. Then seeds may be ejected quite strongly if a raindrop hits it, particularly species with more complex capsules that can include membranes that restrict the opening to force the seeds out more strongly.
--ian
SoilSifter

Post by SoilSifter »

Maybe 'explosive' was too strong of a word to use. I had some plants in my greenhouse with the 5 section seed pod. The pods were ripe. I thought I didn't need to collect the seeds as long the pods were kept dry in the greenhouse. Then there was some stormy weather. I went out to the greenhouse the next day and found the pods were open and empty. There wasn't a leak that dripped water on the pods. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly which plant it was. Might've been Dorotheanthus. I didn't see the pods open and throw the seeds but nothing else seems more likely. :-k