Succulent anonymous [HELP!]

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
sucti2016

Succulent anonymous [HELP!]

Post by sucti2016 »

Hi all! I'm new to the succulent world! As new as I am, I have already killed a couple of succulents. ](*,) So now I'm determined to get help with the support and knowledge from all of you here! Well, it's been a little over a month since I repotted this lil guy. It seems to have stretched out a little because it has been indoors (near a north facing window). So since then I have moved it outdoor in the patio. The stem had turned red and the leaves are sorta limp. Please advise!Am I in the process of killing another one of my babies???
Attachments
P8184986-c.JPG
P8184986-c.JPG (21.03 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
esp_imaging

Re: Succulent anonymous [HELP!]

Post by esp_imaging »

It needs water.
Usually because it hasn't been watered enough, or because it's been watered too much and the roots have become waterlogged and died.
It should be in well drainig compost, in a container that has holes in the bottom to let excess water escape.

If the roots have died due to being waterlogged, check the base of the plant for rot, if it's OK, let it dry out, and after (say) a week, give it light watering. It should re-root fine.

It's a bit stressed at the moment, but should survive ok as it is for quite while, depending on how hot and dry your climate is.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
sucti2016

Post by sucti2016 »

esp_imaging wrote:It needs water.
Usually because it hasn't been watered enough, or because it's been watered too much and the roots have become waterlogged and died.
It should be in well draining compost, in a container that has holes in the bottom to let excess water escape.

If the roots have died due to being waterlogged, check the base of the plant for rot, if it's OK, let it dry out, and after (say) a week, give it light watering. It should re-root fine.

It's a bit stressed at the moment, but should survive ok as it is for quite while, depending on how hot and dry your climate is.
Cheers! Appreciate your advise. I have definitely been refraining myself from watering. Unfortunately, there's no way for me to tell if it's too dry or too wet because it can be either way.
It's been sitting outside (sheltered patio) instead of indoors these days. Due to the monsoon season in the dessert of Arizona, the air is damp after the rain (not a daily event though) -therefore I haven't been watering it. Hopefully it will perk right back up soon. I believe the stem's gone bright red to the stress from the bright sunlight.
Thanks again!
fabricatorgnu

Post by fabricatorgnu »

looks like just a bit of water. make sure the pot has a hole for the water to come out or water it very sparsely