conophytums

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
keith

conophytums

Post by keith »

I don't grow conophytums but they sound like dudleya from California which go dormant in summer with some species looking completely dried up by mid summer. I grow 2 random lithops cultivation like cactus with summer water and winter keep them dry no big deal with them. Conophytums kinda look like lithops but are different less desert more Mediterranean climate.

I should try conophytums keep them with my dudleyas they look very interesting. I see Mesa Gardens sells a collection of a random 10 starting each sept. for the reasons above.

Who else sells them ? Normal succulent cactus soil ? Winter rain with bright light and more shade in Summer with little water.
Pushrestart

Re: conophytums

Post by Pushrestart »

Not too familiar w/ Dudleyas but yes conos do go dormant in the summer. Completely different growing/flowering cycle in relation to lithops.
Lithops bloom at the end of their growing season, Conophytums at the start.

The cono sellers that come to mind are Mesa Garden, and C&D - since you're in socal Im sure there are local nurseries that sell them as well. September-October is an ideal time to buy them. I would suggest fairly shallow/normal pots, gritty succulent mix, bright light
iann

Post by iann »

Conophytums are a bit trickier than Dudleyas. Watering them in summer can be fatal, whereas Dudleyas don't seem to mind. Pretty good for southern California (not too far inland because they might struggle in massive summer heat) so long as you don't mind looking at dead husks all summer. More than a hundred species so loads of choice. The bilobes are big and tough in very hot arid conditions. Some of the tiny ones like a lot of water when it is cool. There are even a few species that flower at odd times instead of just autumn.
--ian
keith

Post by keith »

I'll give it a try probably with easier types first. I want to get some other more common winter growing S Afrcian succulents both for pots and some to plant in my newer rock garden. If they take they will grow faster than pots. Bulbines and Aloes are doing well so far. CA natives not too much choice in succulents outside a few dudleyas.

Hot and humid here now but not extreme heat of the inland areas of CA.
C And D

Post by C And D »

Conos are easy once you get the hang of it.

They're all dormant now, so I keep them in a well shaded cool area for the summer, and lightly spray them down when I water the other plants.
If you water heavy now (mid summer) some will come alive, and some will rot.
So it's best to keep them all suspended in a phase I call "hanging on".

Just make sure they "hang on" by not watering too much, not burning them, and not waking them too early,
not until Fall, then they will come alive with new growth and flowers.

From Fall to Spring, water them when dry or wrinkling. Make sure you water heavy from time to time, so the roots grow deep. Heavy misting between deep watering is the usual program.
Use a sandy mineral soil. They have thin small roots, so need a sandy mix for their roots to get established. I use sand, pumice and about 10-15% organic potting mix.

We won't sell Conos when they are dormant, I can't tell if it's going to wake up in Fall,
I'm not sure if it's a plant I want to keep, I'm not sure if it's a good specimen or a piece of crap?

Conos are super easy to reroot.
Sometimes older clusters, or a newly purchased plant, or repotted old plants will lose their roots.

The old roots just rot at the base. You have to cut the whole thing up and reroot single heads or small clusters of heads.
Cut near the base, let heal for a week, put in pot of normal mix and water heavy once a week.

But of course, the roots will only grow from fall to spring. So it's best to do your surgery then.
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
keith

Post by keith »

Can you leave them out in the rain in S. CA like dudleyas. Under shade cloth.
keith

Post by keith »

Craig I saw your web site. Nice Pictures and set-up I'll contact you in the fall to buy a few cono's and other things. Maybe a few lithops I have 2 and grow them with my cactus no idea what species ? They are pretty tough to hang with the cactus , no water in winter, mostly inert soil, etc.

My kind of plant.