Yucca Plant in Bloom

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Kattatonic

Yucca Plant in Bloom

Post by Kattatonic »

My drive home is along the Pacific Coast Highway in California. I ride along the coast through Santa Monica, Malibu, and Oxnard, where there is an abundance of blooming Yucca plants. These are my favorite part of the day.
Thought i would share. I know these are in large quantities elsewhere as well, but some of you may have never seen one.

I was awestruck at how tall they stand, and the delicate popcorn like blooms that last for up to a month.
These plants are protected for good reason.
IMG_3862.JPG
IMG_3862.JPG (33.2 KiB) Viewed 1459 times
IMG_3861.JPG
IMG_3861.JPG (56.18 KiB) Viewed 1459 times
iann

Re: Yucca Plant in Bloom

Post by iann »

A bit bigger than the ones I'm used to! Even the ones in the gardens here aren't that big, and the one in my greenhouse is barely a foot tall ...
endlichiana-0522.jpg
endlichiana-0522.jpg (57.18 KiB) Viewed 1450 times
--ian
graffiti

Post by graffiti »

In zone 5a I've got yuccas just getting ready to bloom too. Suckers are hardy to a fault.
richs2k6

Post by richs2k6 »

Love the first pic! I live in Southern California and I see these all the time in the desert mountains growing alongside the cliffs. Not sure if it's the same yucca but appears to be "our lord's candle". I think they typically die after blooming but hopefully drop some seeds that will grow a new plant. Funny story....I started to grow some agave from seed and my girlfriend was like "why are you baking the soil? Soil doesn't get baked in the desert". No, it doesn't, but a plant can produce a thousand seeds and only one might actually produce a plant so we're trying to give it the best shot possible. Now when I see a plant such as this I think how lucky it must have been to actually make it to this age!
keith

Post by keith »

awesome pic. late winter I like the coreopsis gigantea along PCH