Can I do this..

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
cactisteve

Can I do this..

Post by cactisteve »

So I am loving my cactus and wanna do a succulent garden. I live in NC. Can I make a beautiful garden to keep outside in spring-summer- fall. Bringing inside during the cold 4 months, I have read articles saying you can an can't, the ones that said I could do it; they said keep them out till colder November nights and even in warmer winter days. They said you Take them out for fresh air. What is your opinions on this. I want to start getting wild
kristian_Fossmo

Re: Can I do this..

Post by kristian_Fossmo »

Most cacti and succulents need a cold winters rest to flower, so maybe you can have them outside all year. Do you have temps below freezing? Many plants can take some mild freezing if protected against water and snow. You just have to do some research on the species you´d like. Otherwise you can bring them in and store them in a cool place in the coldest times of the year, and they will flower for you in spring. I don´t think take them out from indoors warm from time to time in the wintertime is a good idea.
"When the last individual of a race of living things breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again."
William Beebe, 1906
cactisteve

Post by cactisteve »

Maybe 1 month out of the year temps get to teens. But it would be easy to cover them up, or take them to basement
kristian_Fossmo

Post by kristian_Fossmo »

Then thats what I would do, basement when it gets below freezing, just to be safe. Low light in the dormant period, completely dry, for 1 month would probably not etiolate them so it would bother. And if you grow some of the more winter warm loving, like Melocactus, just bring them indoors and put them in a bright window over winter.
"When the last individual of a race of living things breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again."
William Beebe, 1906
cactisteve

Post by cactisteve »

Thank you, so much succulemt to love.