to water, or not water this lithops

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
preferredduck

to water, or not water this lithops

Post by preferredduck »

I live in georgia. I rescued this guy from home depot. One set i bought i saw where the old leaves were evaporated, on the green ones just like it i do not. One side opened the day i planted it and it hasn't moved since. It looks like the new leaves from winter but its may. The other portion of the plant i can see inside the split and it looks normal. The sides are wrinkled on both. Should i water or wait because ive read no water when if does that.
Attachments
Picture of lithops
Picture of lithops
20160502_214119.jpg (61.41 KiB) Viewed 1317 times
Pushrestart

Re: to water, or not water this lithops

Post by Pushrestart »

Hmmm if you water the right sided lithop it will not shed its leaves IMO, if you can split them apart straight down the middle (with the main taproot intact) it might be a good idea so you can water the guy on the left without having the other stack up. I would wait for Ian's advice he is the mesemb guy 8)
preferredduck

Post by preferredduck »

Its so strange being the same plant. Im new to plants so splitting may not be a good idea for me yet. I did get some succulent leaves to propogate when i picked these up and all have roots and a couple look really good for having 0 experience. Thank goodness for google.
preferredduck

Post by preferredduck »

Ok so update, using a flashlight and looking way inside i can see what looks like new leaves and what used to be the flower stem, or i think thats it. I can prob get a pic down in there if needed. There are spots from the rock it seems on the side of the one. With it being may this confuses me unless its one that does this during summer or late spring i guess. Im sure the thing was grown in the same hemisphere as me. There were some that had worse spots on them. Being my first plants really i didnt pick the worst of them. Any advice on this is still needed i assume but as of now im holding off.
iann

Post by iann »

The condition is normal enough for May, especially if they've been pampered a bit. Looks like you can water the one on the right, especially since the photo is from two weeks ago. Lithops don't do anything fast, don't do anything at all without a good amount of sun. Make sure they have good ventilation too.

I'd be tempted to water the green one once and then leave it for the rest of summer if necessary. If they were here, I'd wait and watch for another week or two, but I suspect you don't want to be watering a lot in your hot muggy summer.
--ian