Pachypodium Seed Pods

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
leisurely

Pachypodium Seed Pods

Post by leisurely »

I have a rather large Pachypodium lamerei that I have grown from a tiny plant. It blooms regularly during the summer with it's clusters of white flowers. I generally remove the flower spike in the fall after it quits blooming but this past year I didn't. This spring it decided to make fruit so I have three pods that looks like cucumbers. The question I have is whether or not leaving the seed pods to mature will prevent the plant from flowering this year? I posted a picture of the flowers since they are not commonly seen. They resemble Plumeria.
Attachments
Pachypodium lamerei.JPG
Pachypodium lamerei.JPG (106.91 KiB) Viewed 997 times
Jerry
esp_imaging

Re: Pachypodium Seed Pods

Post by esp_imaging »

Nice plant!

I can't see why letting a few fruit ripen will have more than a marginal effect on flowering, especially if it is well fed and watered, and is growing, strong and healthy. If you were trying to set seed with every flower, then maybe, but with only a small proportion of the last flowers setting seed I imagine it will have plenty of resources to flower again.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti