Spring flowers

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Astro

Spring flowers

Post by Astro »

Some random mesemb flowers from the past couple of weeks. My collection has been sheltering under a patio roof for most of the winter to shelter from the winter rains, so it's been getting quite a bit less sun than it would otherwise. It's about time they move back into a sunnier location before they soften up too much, but meanwhile flowers last a good deal longer than they would otherwise.

Cheiridopsis peculiaris, with longish flower stems due to its residence in half-shade, but they've been in bloom for about 3 weeks now and still going. The leaves are an eternal snails' favorite as can be seen in the picture. I've tried to cross pollinate them multiple times but the flowers keep going so it must not have taken. Any advice on how to successfully pollinate these?
C. peculiaris
C. peculiaris
Cheiridopsis_peculiaris_20160402.jpg (74.44 KiB) Viewed 814 times
This one from a while ago, Titanopsis calcarea, still in its 3-year-old Home Depot pot. May be time to repot them. The T. hugo-schlechteri seedlings behind the calcarea didn't feel like flowering this year.
T. calcarea
T. calcarea
Titanopsis_calcarea_20160214.jpg (62.75 KiB) Viewed 814 times
iann

Re: Spring flowers

Post by iann »

Very nice! I get Cheiridopsis flowers about one year in three if I'm lucky. I think I had one bud this year but now all I have is a hole full of sweet liquid :( Pollination shouldn't be hard, but best to pick a warm afternoon and double-check that you have pollen stuck onto the stamen.
--ian