Muiria hortenseae seeds

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
piyeron

Muiria hortenseae seeds

Post by piyeron »

I checked Silverhill Seeds (a South African enterprise selling native plant seeds and books) on a whim and lo and behold they have it on stock. It's been years since I last saw this offered (I check a few times a year, randomly), so I thought I might share for those who are interested. :)

http://www.silverhillseeds.co.za/ByName ... ext=muiria" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aiko

Re: Muiria hortenseae seeds

Post by Aiko »

I bought some a year ago. It was not listed, but I asked about it, if they would ever have it on offer again. They had something (probably too little to put on the website?), so they had sent me a batch. So it could be worthwhile to ask them about it if it is not on the list. I still have two tiny seedlings of these. The hardest part is for me to get them past the matchbox head size, which they now have reached.

I wonder if they will grow where you live at all, though.
piyeron

Post by piyeron »

Ah well, I can always try as long as seed/planting materials are available :lol: It's only been recently that more and more people are becoming interested in Mesembs here (and the vast majority have their eyes on Lithops, even if there are other kinds that are significantly easier). At least now I know people can keep stuff like Frithia, Titanopsis, Cheiridopsis, Lithops alive here (selection is still spotty at best, but improving by the day) I've known about Muiria for more half a decade now (through this forum no less), though I haven't braved trying it partly since seed is rarely offered. Maybe I'll buy a few packets soon and try some staggered plantings in the next few months.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

You should read the following section of a larger article on mesembs: http://www.vivante-passerelle.net/index ... ia-en-gb-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I allow my Muiria a summer dormancy of only about two months, a bit longer maybe. From say early June (when the plant will shrivel) to late August (I wake it up by giving it some water, to see if the new leaf pairs break through the old dried sheets). Don't let them be dry for too long (so also a short summer dormancy), and give them a little splash of water very regularly throughout the year as soon as the soil has dried out between waterings. The key in the article of "and the trick in cultivation is to give them a steady supply of water throughout most of the year" works for my plants.

I don't know how you should interpret the line "Unless you have very hot and humid summers, nothing is gained by prolonged “rest”.", though.
iann

Post by iann »

If you have very hot and humid summers, attempts to break dormancy might be fatal. Not a problem in England :)
--ian
piyeron

Post by piyeron »

Hey Ian, how does one learn when to "break dormancy" in mesembs? Is it part informed trial (from written literature and other hobbyist's experiences) and part careful observation of the plants in question throughout the year?
iann

Post by iann »

piyeron wrote:Hey Ian, how does one learn when to "break dormancy" in mesembs? Is it part informed trial (from written literature and other hobbyist's experiences) and part careful observation of the plants in question throughout the year?
In most cases, the plants will break it for themselves. In my climate it is hard enough getting them dormant in the first place, and they snap out of it the first chance they get. So most of my effort goes into getting them to dry out and keeping them that way as long as possible. Or at least for a few weeks! Elsewhere, maybe people have to use other methods.
--ian
C And D

Post by C And D »

I put an order in.
Found a lot of seeds I was interested in, Othonna especially, all winter growers
I may do another order soon.
So I will stock pile the seeds and plant them in late Oct.

And I will plant at least half of them in my succulent garden

here is what happened when I threw my last Dactylopsis digitata seeds in my garden
IMG_9152.jpg
IMG_9152.jpg (58.68 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
I think Muiria may grow like weeds in the garden!
they may like the constant moisture, at least for the first year.
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry