Aloinopsis. Can you spot the bud?

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Kamos

Aloinopsis. Can you spot the bud?

Post by Kamos »

I'm hoping the sunny days will hold out long enough to see this little A.schooneesii bloom. There are two more smaller buds on the other side.
DSC_0574.JPG
DSC_0574.JPG (60.92 KiB) Viewed 1701 times
DSC_0573.JPG
DSC_0573.JPG (59.86 KiB) Viewed 1701 times
Neal
iann

Re: Aloinopsis. Can you spot the bud?

Post by iann »

I don't know about California, but I have to be very patient with winter buds. VERY patient :) Might have to wait for the next sunny day. March probably :(
--ian
Kamos

Post by Kamos »

We've been lucky this Fall ian, we've had quite a bit of rain between lots of cold sunny days. I keep this Aloinopsis in very sunny windowsill. Of course, I don't want to complain about cloudy, rainy days. I was beginning to think that didn't happen here anymore. :wink:
Neal
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

I had a few buds of an Aloinopsis steadily growing since autumn. The first ones just opened up last weekend. Most days up here are short, dark and dull.
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Aiko wrote:I had a few buds of an Aloinopsis steadily growing since autumn. The first ones just opened up last weekend. Most days up here are short, dark and dull.
When do you need to water these? I stopped watering mine in September should I give it a drink through winter at all? It is growing a bit, I noticed some new leaves starting to poke through but no flower buds at all.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

I basically watered them for the last time until spring. Watering (for me) is usually more a gut feeling. It depends on the weather, and the calender. And I then just make a decision to water certain plants and not other plants. But basically you can water all mesembs (and maybe even most of the African succulents) well into late autumn, both winter and summer active ones. That is, in my greenhouse. Other greenhouses (smaller ones) or those without windows open all the time, and window sills are a totally different world...
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

I think I will give then a light drink then, it has been unusually warm this year we had one night of light frost on the mountain tops in November but since then only down to about 8°c at the coldest. Plenty of rain but not cold this year in Wales.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
iann

Post by iann »

Strangely enough, I gave my Aloinopsis a little splash today. Humidity is way down. They've been quite active, but I've held off watering because of all the rain and humidity. Hopefully they'll dry out fairly quickly. Spring is a better time, easy to water with less risk of rot, and the sun is so much stronger by February or March.
--ian
ewwmayo

Post by ewwmayo »

Mine flowered mid November and I thought it was done for the year, but a few new buds are emerging! Still watering mine every four or five days (in my loft under lights).
Kamos

Post by Kamos »

And finally! :D
DSC_0585.JPG
DSC_0585.JPG (51.49 KiB) Viewed 1519 times
Neal
iann

Post by iann »

That didn't take long :) Reminds me I need to move closer to the equator ...
--ian