That's peculiar

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
iann

That's peculiar

Post by iann »

Cheiridopsis peculiaris
peculiaris-1122.jpg
peculiaris-1122.jpg (44.72 KiB) Viewed 1421 times
A few weeks ago it would have looked like this:
peculiaris-0806.jpg
peculiaris-0806.jpg (74.46 KiB) Viewed 1421 times
Muria are a little peculiar all the time, but nice and hairy in winter
muiria-1122.jpg
muiria-1122.jpg (71.02 KiB) Viewed 1421 times
Here they are a few weeks ago, just shedding their summer coats:
muiria-0924a.jpg
muiria-0924a.jpg (77.62 KiB) Viewed 1421 times
Conophytum burgeri, a very peculiar one:
burgeri-1122a.jpg
burgeri-1122a.jpg (41.68 KiB) Viewed 1421 times
Here's a more normal one:
burgeri-1122b.jpg
burgeri-1122b.jpg (70.18 KiB) Viewed 1421 times
And in the middle of summer, don't throw out that pot yet!
burgeri-0707b.jpg
burgeri-0707b.jpg (86.06 KiB) Viewed 1421 times
--ian
Pushrestart

Re: That's peculiar

Post by Pushrestart »

Beautiful set of plants Ian!
The Muria are so adorable, green fuzzies! How difficult are these to grow, any cultural notes you can share?
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Pushrestart wrote:Beautiful set of plants Ian!
The Muria are so adorable, green fuzzies! How difficult are these to grow, any cultural notes you can share?
Give them a very regular but light splash of water from August to May, so throughout winter. Don't let them be dormant in summer for too long. About two to three months.
Pushrestart

Post by Pushrestart »

Aiko wrote:
Pushrestart wrote:Beautiful set of plants Ian!
Give them a very regular but light splash of water from August to May, so throughout winter. Don't let them be dormant in summer for too long. About two to three months.
Thank you kindly Aiko, will make note of this, so do they rest during the dead of winter and hot summer months? The rest of the year they're growing... interesting. 8-[
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

No, no rest in winter. Only a short dry rest in summer. Give them all the light you can during winter and still give them a little bit of water every now and then.

But it is not easy to obtain a Muiria. Seeds are not much available (only from MSG and Silverhill Seeds occasionally, that I know of). Plants are basically never offered.
iann

Post by iann »

Muiria certainly has a reputation for being difficult. Strangely I find it easier than the Gibbaeum alba that it grows and hybridises with. There are all sorts of crazy cultivation tips, but I'm not sure which are old wives tales and which might have some use.

It is a winter grower, but it doesn't seem to lose all control in my dark winters like many Gibbaeums. I do have trouble making it go dormant at all in summer, or at least sheathing over. It doesn't do anything quickly, and trying to push it is probably a good way to kill it. Regular small amounts of water in the cool seasons, mostly dry when it is warm. In my weak summers at least, start watering again as soon as it has dried out, unless maybe that happens to be during a freak heatwave.
--ian