Can these Lithops be saved?

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
keithp2012

Can these Lithops be saved?

Post by keithp2012 »

Got them for free, they are wrinkled throughout the body and dry. I'm not sure if they were under or over watered. I planted in cacti soil, soaked for an hour, then replanted in dry soil. They are under grow lights and kept warm. Any hope for them?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (77.8 KiB) Viewed 1962 times
Aiko

Re: Can these Lithops be saved?

Post by Aiko »

If they are wrinkled they surely are not overwatered. Some mesembs that get overwatered will rupture, like Argyroderma and Tanquana. Lithops would simply rot if overwatered. At the looks of it the left one is rotting. I assume it is soft? The other one looks dead, but I don't know what is below the outer leaves. Maybe there is a brand new leave pair growing under the dead-looking old leave pairs?

Why would you soak the plants in water only to replant them again an hour later in dry soil? There is no use to that. Plants need hours if not days (!) to soak water up through the roots.
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

Aiko wrote:If they are wrinkled they surely are not overwatered. Some mesembs that get overwatered will rupture, like Argyroderma and Tanquana. Lithops would simply rot if overwatered. At the looks of it the left one is rotting. I assume it is soft? The other one looks dead, but I don't know what is below the outer leaves. Maybe there is a brand new leave pair growing under the dead-looking old leave pairs?

Why would you soak the plants in water only to replant them again an hour later in dry soil? There is no use to that. Plants need hours if not days (!) to soak water up through the roots.
I wasn't sure if they needed more water or to stay dry that is why I did that to play it safe.
iann

Post by iann »

I don't see any signs of life, but who knows? Maybe there is something lurking in there.
--ian
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Is the left one soft?
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

Aiko wrote:Is the left one soft?
Slightly but the stem is dry
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Then consider it a goner. The leave pairs should not be soft. They should feel rubbery.
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

Aiko wrote:Then consider it a goner. The leave pairs should not be soft. They should feel rubbery.
Ok, thank you for your help.