Ponytail Palm Placement

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
rexus31

Ponytail Palm Placement

Post by rexus31 »

I recently purchased a Beaucarnea recurvata (Ponytail Palm) as seen in the pics. My intention is to plant it in the half circle planter bed which is also seen in the pics. The distance from the exterior wall of the house to the outermost edge of the planter is approximately 6 feet. Currently, the tree is 6 feet tall from the base of the caudex (12 inches in diameter) to the top of the foliage. My concern is the caudex and the potential damage it could cause the house should it get too big. I've read online that they can get as big as 12 feet in diameter but I've also read these grow very slowly. Do you think I will be okay planting it as planned?

rexus31

Re: Ponytail Palm Placement

Post by rexus31 »

I went ahead and planted it. I think it will take many, many years for it to grow into a problem, if it ever does. My only concern is, we are forecasted for El Nino here on the West Coast this winter which means we are expecting a lot of rain; which is good because we need it but these do not like a lot of water. I suppose I could tarp the bed if I needed to.