Lithops alchemy

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
iann

Lithops alchemy

Post by iann »

Mixing Lithops together is about as productive as trying to make gold out of lead. Half the time you just get the parent selfed, half the rest of the time fluorescent seedlings that expire before their first birthday. Occasionally, a true hybrid is produced and they're usually muddy intermediates with little to recommend them. Here are a few that I'm fairly sure are actual crosses.

L. helmutii x naureeniae, about as expected
xhelmutii-0911a.jpg
xhelmutii-0911a.jpg (89.53 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
L. helmutii x divergens, strangely blank
xhelmutii-0911b.jpg
xhelmutii-0911b.jpg (94.21 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
L. schwantesii var marthae x dinteri, somewhat muddled
xdinteri-0911.jpg
xdinteri-0911.jpg (96.33 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
Finally, a cross that has been (kind of) stabilised and given a name: 'Moss Agate'.
mossagate-0911.jpg
mossagate-0911.jpg (80.18 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
--ian
Astro

Re: Lithops alchemy

Post by Astro »

Quite a few stragglers in that helmutii x divergens brood. They also look like they'll burn to a crisp in no time if left out in the sun for too long (which I have some unfortunate experience with, for both helmutii and divergens).

It'll be interesting to see what the schwinteris will look like when all grown up, right now they seem to be quite dinteresque.
cjbaker

Post by cjbaker »

Thanks for sharing! It's interesting to see the results of these crosses, even if they're muddled.
Craig [my pictures]
iann

Post by iann »

Yes, interesting, but possibly they'll all have to be composted :( Can't really tell what they'll be like until year 3, but interesting to watch them grow.
--ian