Impatient Lithops

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Kamos

Impatient Lithops

Post by Kamos »

This was a nice surprise, but seems a bit strange since our daytime high temps have still been in the high 90sF to over 100. Apparently that doesn't matter to this Lithops, that's been steadily pushing out this bud.
It looks like a couple more are starting to show signs of buds as well,but I haven't given any of them more than a splash of water through summer, and I don't think I'll give them a drenching until we start to cool down. Forecast for highs next week is in the mid 80s. Any ideas on this? :-k
DSC_0498.JPG
DSC_0498.JPG (60.65 KiB) Viewed 767 times
Neal
iann

Re: Impatient Lithops

Post by iann »

They're clearly not thirsty. L. aucampiae can really hold its water, but it will look a lot more thirsty than this after a summer with no water at all. Your idea of "no more than a splash" might actually be quite generous for a Lithops. Looks like there is even a little bit of old leaf left.

It is the time of year for yellow Lithops flowers, although they mostly wait until any heatwave is over. Possibly your nights are cool enough, and whatever the air temperature some of the strength has gone from the sun.
--ian