"Stuck " Lithops

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Kamos

"Stuck " Lithops

Post by Kamos »

Long after all the other Lithops have shriveled their old leaves, this one
just can't seem to let go. :-k
DSC_0479.JPG
DSC_0479.JPG (75.01 KiB) Viewed 2230 times
Neal
iann

Re: "Stuck " Lithops

Post by iann »

The difficulty of growing multiple Lithops in one pot. Even the same species and almost identical plants.

Needs two things. First, some time (and preferably heat and sun) to dry out the old leaves. Second, some water to expand the new leaves and burst through the old ones. You may be able to do this in reverse order, which can be very effective, but runs the risk of just fattening up the old leaves and making things worse. I'd say yours needs a bit more time, then some water.
--ian
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

iann wrote:The difficulty of growing multiple Lithops in one pot. Even the same species and almost identical plants.

Needs two things. First, some time (and preferably heat and sun) to dry out the old leaves. Second, some water to expand the new leaves and burst through the old ones. You may be able to do this in reverse order, which can be very effective, but runs the risk of just fattening up the old leaves and making things worse. I'd say yours needs a bit more time, then some water.
My only concern with watering any time soon is that we are in late July and he lives in the Central Valley of California. I just checked and at 5pm the temperature there is 105F (40C). I'd be nervous about watering them this time of year in that location. It probably won't cool down much until October.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
Kamos

Post by Kamos »

Thanks for the response ian and Saxicola. We definitely have heat, sun and time ian, but water... not in
California. :lol:
Neal
iann

Post by iann »

That's a shame. Although the rule is no water until the old leaves are gone, on these summer-rainfall Lithops, some water at this stage of growth often causes the new leaves to break through the old, and then the old leaves will dry out more quickly. Your Lithops may be more or less dormant though, so you'll have to wait for autumn and take it from there. This is why it is desirable to get rid of the old leaves early in the year, they get stubborn once it is hot ;)
--ian
Kamos

Post by Kamos »

That worked well for the others during Spring ian, but like you said, probably just best to wait it out rather than risk it. Thanks again.
Neal
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Kamos wrote:Thanks for the response ian and Saxicola. We definitely have heat, sun and time ian, but water... not in
California. :lol:
Give me some winter warmth and sunlight, and you can get all the rainwater you want from me as a trade!

I got soaked in a terrible downpour walking two hundred meters to the tram stop yesterday, even while holding an umbrella...
Kamos

Post by Kamos »

Sounds like a great trade Aiko! Let's make that happen! :wink:
Neal