Hawthoria disinformation

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
2fussie

Hawthoria disinformation

Post by 2fussie »

I have been to many sites regarding the light conditions needed for growing a hawthoria. Some sites state that the succulent likes lots of direct sunlight. Another one states that it doesn't like direct sunlight, preferring partial shade to full shade.

Which one is the correct answer?
Aiko

Re: Hawthoria disinformation

Post by Aiko »

Think about the context the advice is given. Pro and con, or yes and no, can both be good answers to the questions you ask even though they seem to clash with each other.

Where does the person giving the advice lives, and how is the climate up there?
In northwestern Europe and northern US, direct sunlight is good. In the south of the US I think you will burn them and you might prefer a shady space.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

You'll fry most of them, especially the "softer, fatter" kinds if you put them in full sun in California or probably most places in the western US. But in the east they probably could take full sun, and I think the same for Europe. Where do you live?

Haworthias, along with the closely related Gasteria, are one of the few types of succulents that can thrive in a moderately shady location.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
2fussie

Post by 2fussie »

Enon, Ohio. Right now its 87 degrees outside and sunny. I have it outside with my other cacti/succulents. Its been in the full sun and had no ills effects so far.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

That should work. Just keep an eye on it and if it starts showing signs of sun stress move it. Otherwise keep it there. Haworthia are fine outside until the first frosts hit.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
Pushrestart

Post by Pushrestart »

Wish there was a like button on this forum, it definitely depends on how intense the sun is where you are. Im in nearby Illinois and the sun never really achieves the same intensity as the sun in lets say Southern California or Arizona where one can instantly BBQ just about everything. Just keep an eye on the coloring of the plant, should be a good indicator of how its handling things!
One Windowsill

Post by One Windowsill »

iann

Post by iann »

Full sun here is fine, but it will colour some plants up quite strongly in summer. Partial shade is also fine in summer, but maximum light is necessary in winter or they will etiolate.
--ian
C And D

Post by C And D »

The intensity of sun light is one of the most important considerations when it comes to growing top quality Haworthias

First of all, where you live makes a big difference, as well as Temperatures associated with the light intensity

If you put a Haworthia that has been grown in a shaded area into the full sun, it will look fine for a couple days or weeks, and only after it's too late will the dark tan start to develop.

Too much shade will give the plants a drab green color,

The goal is to give them as much sun as possible but not too much that it turns them brown. I have to put up successive layers of screen from Spring into Summer, I have 3 layers now, and some are kept in a more shaded corner.

We have a greenhouse devoted to Haworthias, but it's full of Aloes and winter growing Mesembs as well. It's well shaded and open to keep temperatures lower in the summer.
Here in Southern California, early Summer is the best Haworthia growing season, they grow more now than any time of the year.
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry