Massonia wittebergensis / Drimia elata summer dormancy?

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Aiko

Massonia wittebergensis / Drimia elata summer dormancy?

Post by Aiko »

I sowed some Massonia wittebergensis in spring 2014. It is supposed to be the only summer active Massonia.

They germinated fine, and kept its tiny leaves all through summer, winter, and only started to shed its leaves in spring. Which is odd, as it assumingly should have lost its leaves in the autumn. Or just kept the leaves through summer to shed them next autumn, one of the two.

Same thing happened with Drimia elata, probably also one of the few (?) summer active species of this genus.

The leaves are gone, but the bulbs are still looking fine. No rot or anything. Just appearing to be dormant since about two months.

I am a little bit confused with how to treat the two. Keep it watering throughout summer. Keep it dry, to see if it will start to develop leaves in autumn like 'normal' Massonias, or keep it dry to see if it will start to develop leaves in spring?

(I live in northwestern Europe, in a climate with moderate temperatures (both winter and summer) and no abnormal high or low sun intensity. Nothing specially challenging in heat or cold or anything that might cause this.)
Aiko

Re: Massonia wittebergensis / Drimia elata summer dormancy?

Post by Aiko »

Finally after waiting for nothing to happen, I had a look at my pot of Massonia wittebergensis, and now I could only find one little bulb. Still dormant. But at least it is still there. I don't know where the others are, but I guess rotted / dried away. Very unfortunate.

I already ordered some more seeds of Massonia wittebergensis from African Bulbs a while back. Still a bit doubting wether to sow now or wait for early spring. Probably early spring would be the best. But any more advice on this?
majcka

Re: Massonia wittebergensis / Drimia elata summer dormancy?

Post by majcka »

Aiko wrote:Finally after waiting for nothing to happen, I had a look at my pot of Massonia wittebergensis, and now I could only find one little bulb. Still dormant. But at least it is still there. I don't know where the others are, but I guess rotted / dried away. Very unfortunate.

I already ordered some more seeds of Massonia wittebergensis from African Bulbs a while back. Still a bit doubting wether to sow now or wait for early spring. Probably early spring would be the best. But any more advice on this?
Bummer! I hate them when they do this. Eather way you do I keep my fingers crossed!
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook