Freaky Lithops

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
iann

Freaky Lithops

Post by iann »

This Lithops dinteri seedling has a very odd tail on one of the new heads, on the left.
dinteri-0623.jpg
dinteri-0623.jpg (69.67 KiB) Viewed 2307 times
It is also clearly going for some sort of dividing record, but it has a long way to go to catch this one.
multipunc-0623.jpg
multipunc-0623.jpg (81.35 KiB) Viewed 2307 times
--ian
Astro

Re: Freaky Lithops

Post by Astro »

Nice clump, iann! Does it flower with as much abandon as it divides?

I have noticed some seedlings like to divide right from the start (first leaf pair), but oftentimes the second head isn't fully formed. It's actually not super rare in my experience (encountered maybe 10 out of a few thousand seeds sown). I'm sure growth conditions are involved as well as genetics.

On another note, last weekend I spotted the first pseudotruncatella bud for the season! Looks like they got their clocks synced up again (last year they didn't get started until the end of October).
iann

Post by iann »

The big clump flowers infrequently. It isn't actually a big clump. That is a 2 3/4" pot. This is from a cutting of a 55-headed plant and it will be back to that number in a few more years. It isn't normal!

The little one is just one I grew from seed. It was a normal enough double-headed plant, but went nuts this spring.

I have one bud on L. pseudotruncatella "Alpina" and it may have aborted. I don't usually get flowers until July, but would expect quite a few buds by now. It hasn't been a great spring for Lithops growing this year.
--ian
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Im trying to find the 'tail' not sure what im looking for lol!
I have a dinteri that made a new head with only one lobe instead of two and didn't have a butt shape just looked like one little round lump like the plant in 1st pic on the left with its two little lump bodies on each side of the normal shaped lithop in the middle
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

This one has a weird abcess or bubble on it filled with water.. What is it?
Attachments
1435253977859.jpg
1435253977859.jpg (38.03 KiB) Viewed 2256 times
iann

Post by iann »

Is it a bubble, or is there a leaf in there trying to get out? I've seen various bubbles on Lithops and they don't usually cause a problem, but then who knows what goes on underground on my plants?

Look on the barely-a-head on the left. I think Lithops are too inbred, they're always throwing mutants. Here's one from last year.
rouxii-0929.jpg
rouxii-0929.jpg (61.32 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
--ian
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Its a bubble filled with water im assuming.
Should i lance it or leave it be?
rayblue

Post by rayblue »

iann wrote:Is it a bubble, or is there a leaf in there trying to get out? I've seen various bubbles on Lithops and they don't usually cause a problem, but then who knows what goes on underground on my plants?

Look on the barely-a-head on the left. I think Lithops are too inbred, they're always throwing mutants. Here's one from last year.
rouxii-0929.jpg
Hi Iann,
What's the cole number of the lithops in this picture? I really like its looks.
iann

Post by iann »

C215. It is normal most years, but the patterns are very nice.
--ian
rayblue

Post by rayblue »

iann wrote:C215. It is normal most years, but the patterns are very nice.
Exactly :D